Agnostic.com

4 0

Violence to others

Is violence ever justified?

Geordie 4 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Violence is not always physical. A threat can also be an act of violence. Trying to intimidate others or force them to do something by referring to a divine authority for instance can also be an act of violence. In the same vein protesting against an injustice can be an act of violence. Of course violence like this is sometimes justified but when it comes to physical violence I would argue that it is only justified if every other options have been exhausted. Otherwise it gives the other party again a justification (or at least a perceived justification) for violence, which leads us very rapidly down the spiral of violence.

Dietl Level 7 Nov 29, 2018

Depends on what you are willing to put up with. We could have prevented a lot of soldiers dying by allowing Hitler to carry out his genocide.

And, it depends on what you mean by justified. Anyone who uses violence can give you a reason they did it. Are you advocating an absolute standard to determine which reasons, if any, are valid?

Only in self defense or to protect someone else.

I was about ty make the same reply, but I looked down and saw you already responded with exactly what I wanted to say. ??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:233739
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.