Agnostic.com

4 0

Why are we becoming a Nation without respect for each other?

Marine 8 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Becoming? That was a fait accompli some time ago.

It took many decades of concerted effort for us to grow so far apart.

We were taught to otherize and demonize others, to emphasize difference rather than seek common ground. We were taught this by religion, by politics, and by unbridled capitalism -- all of these sorted people by greater and lesser value and turned life into a zero sum game where Other People can take your power and voice and love and identity away from you and so you always need to be on guard against this, and also, you need to diminish others so that you can be elevated.

Trumpism and the polarization of the body politic is only the latest development in these trends. They did not just drop out of the sky from nowhere. They will not vanish when Trump is gone. I hope that progressives will be humble and gracious victors. If they overcome Trumpism only to replace it with more business-as-usual corporatist ideology then before long we'll have something worse than Trump to deal with.

I totally agree with your statement and i hope that if the democrats are wise enough to offer compromise to the republicans that they will be wise enough to take it. My concern is that the wealthy are so greedy that they will oppose anything that is offered as giving to much and will do their best to prevent anything from being accomplished once again. We have had no government for to long now.

Yes and how was your coma? Hopefully you’ll have a full recovery soon.

A world where no one cares

We do not respect our women because we do not treat them equal with respect to pay,consideration and position.We lack respect for our teachers claiming the child is always right.Respect for the politician is at an all time low as we consider them all crooks or dirty in some manner.We definitely lack respect for our employers because we see their lack of respect for their employees.

What has caused this lack of respect?Some of it stems from the lack of socialization among the younger generations. Technology has taken over a large part of their lives and this has directly limited their social interaction. It is difficult to refine social skills like respect, love,trust and many others when your only contact is via a computer or phone.

As for the lack of respect for teachers it comes from this helicopter parenting. None to very little discipline by the parent in bringing up Daisy and Bill. They received whatever they wanted without the earning requirement therefore they expect everything to be handed to them when they want it.

Politicians and employers share the same traits. They both derive the benefits but screw the electorate and the employees.With the politician they can blame others for not doing what they promised and the employer must tend to the profit of the stock holder.

As it can be seen there isn't any one answer to the problem of lack of respect.I personally feel frustrated and lack an answer as to how to change this situation but I have made it my personal endeavor to try and respect everyone and even those I dislike from now on. I do not expect it to be easy but necessary.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:235630
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.