Agnostic.com

5 3

Is it still called catfishing when you know you're reeling in a scammer?

Asking for a friend. ?

Amzungu 8 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Could be?

What exactly is the scam? Is it that someone is misrepresenting themselves, or is it more involved, like financial fraud? If it's a financial scam, I'd reel them in long enough to report it to the authorities.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 3, 2018

@Orbit

Nigerian dating scammers work in large warehouses with computers and phones. They try to steal your cash.

They are easy to spot:

1. Poor command of the English language. Rarely capitalize the letter "i."

2. Call me an "angel from heaven" and claim to have fallen in love with me immediately.

3. Pressure you to quickly switch to instant messaging.

4. Claim to live in a city in your state. In my case, Seattle.

5. Say they were born in Europe but are American citizens.

6. Same sob story: wife died in a fiery car crash or ran off with their best friend.

7. Temporarily working in North Africa in the oil fields as an engineer or missionary.

8. Too beautiful/handsome pictures. Scammers steal photos from modeling websites and profiles from dating websites.

9. Keep up the romantic pressure until SURPRISE! They were robbed at the bus/airport and need you to wire them $5,000 immediately so they can fly home to be in your arms. Or say their child need an emergency operation.

10. They keep it up until you are out of money.

Millions of single people are left penniless and heartbroken every year.

[cnbc.com]

[lifewire.com]

Sounds to me like a good story is brewing! ?

I BLOCK and REPORT scammers.

Your friend is wasting her time and energy.

Well, damn, where's the fun in that?
i also block and report, but that's not exactly a sustainable solution...or nearly as amusing.

@Amzungu2

After being blocked, scammers pop up like daisies with new profiles and photos.

Oh shit, I sure hope so.

Sounds like a fun sport. Maybe better than catching real catfish.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:236181
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.