Agnostic.com

6 2

Why do we dream and of what use are dreams to our life?

SonnyMlaPH 7 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe dreams are a way of your brain reviewing what is impacting you right now in a symbolic way that is usually less emotional.

For example: I had a dream where I was putting spray foam insulation into a door frame. Symbolically, the doorway means I am entering into a new stage in my life, and the insulation means I am protecting myself from my fears. I didn't have to think about my fears to have this dream, so it was less emotional.

Perhaps it does help us come up with better solutions.

Thank you, but, not many people can interpret their dreams that way.

A children's song said a dream is a wish you're heart makes

I believe dreams may be from a subconscious fear or a memory from a previous life. Dreams from the previous life are again removed upon awakening whereas one may retain a dream whose origin is fear.

Well said. Thank you

"from a previous life" said you . . . sounds kinda heavy to me. One member, Draco, said that when we die our atoms are converted into something else. Now, aaaaah, lemme sleep on that for a while

I have a personal "theory" on that. It's based upon logic.
Our brains are multifunctional. Some things we do consciously. ( "I have to fun that errand now".)
Some things are semi-conscious. (The process of the drive, backing out of the driveway shifting gears braking.)
Some things are subconscious. (Motivation for our responses to people and things around us)
Some are unconscious, blood circulation, digestion of food etc.)
When we sleep our brains are at rest and it reboots our systems.
My theory on that is that when it is rebooting it is seeking solutions to resolve problems.
A part of that is in rebooting things that are happening on a conscious level with things that are going on subconsciously, and our dreams are the images that are represented to us symbolically from the subconscious level. By the interpretation of the symbols, we can get to the roots and the solutions to problems that we encounter in life.

Donna Level 6 Sep 29, 2017

Dreams could be the accumulation of what has transpired even if most dreams (at least my dreams) are illogical and doesn't make sense, not relative to anything I could remember. Could be the work of our subconious mind which they say could be lied to

I count nothing out.

Dreams are vital to a rational, stable mind. The fact about why we dream is scientifically unknown as is the purpose of sleep. (I Googled sleep and dreams to get that response)

bro, I read somewhere that we need to sleep in order for our cells to "recharge" and regenerate so we don't "crash and burn"

When we are dreaming, our brain is very active. I do not know why we dream so many different things.

tonia Level 5 Sep 27, 2017

a song said, " a dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep"

I've had dreams after pondering on or talking about certain things for an extended time. It could be something affecting me positively or negatively. I believe that a dream can be useful if it helps you visualize or conceptualize ways to improve your life, or achieve certain goals. Even nightmares can stimulate positive responses.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:238
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.