Agnostic.com

8 5

LINK The Darker Side of George H. W. Bush’s Kinder, Gentler Faith-Based Politics - TheHumanist.com

FTA: As I reflect on George H. W. Bush, I wonder how he reconciled his faith with his association with the CIA (including at the helm for a year). A cursory look at his life, as reported by outlets like Rolling Stone, New York magazine, and The Intercept, reveals he had a major hand in propping up some god-awful dictatorships. Along those lines, investigative journalist Greg Palast’s documentary Bush Family Fortunes shows how the family’s oil connections to the bin Ladens and the Saudi royal family caused H. W. (as presidents since) to turn a blind eye to Saudi atrocities. When he did intervene to curtail a dictator he had once supported, he did so in a way that cost hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives.

zblaze 7 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tried to stop Roe v. Wade!

He never struck me as a leader, just a follower, following up on the ‘nation building’ and ‘communist killing’ his predecessor had championed..

Now that the whole world is watching, his ‘Party’ devotes their dirty work to domestic political targets … while inserting their own brand of petty dictator in our White House.

Varn Level 8 Dec 8, 2018

A friendly dictator is a lot better option than a radical Islamic theocracy like Iran who terriorizes the world. Hell I’ll take a friendly dictator over an Islamic republic anytime.

Dragging that dead horse through every post now, are ya?

@AnneWimsey Yes you seem to be doing exactly that.

I was highly religious when he was in office and thought he was great because he wasn't afraid to talk about God. However, when he named certain countries as the "axis of evil" and justified waging war on them for that reason, that just didn't sit right with me. It was one of many things that didn't add up religiously. Later on I discovered many things he did that just weren't right and I realized that all his talk about God didn't mean a thing.

I concur. I will also add that while he was doing that he was "ignoring" that bible thing of being rich and heaven teaching things.

Obama looked the other way from the Saudis, too. It's not a strictly Republican affliction. Its more of a problem that plutocrats have. The wealthy and powerful look out for each other.

How funny that now he’s dead all of us conspiracy theorist aren’t quite the nut jobs that we were being considered as. ?

It's always mainstream media. Who owns mainstream media, and what are their true interests? Rarely the real truth and manufactured consent and dissent, as Noam Chomsky has said. Bush whitewashing is par for the course.

it is disappointing how the general media was white washing all his dealings around the funeral! I was hoping at least one would have a realistic look at his actual presidency - good, bad, and maybe a light touch on the ugly.

I was told Amy Goodman of Pacifica Radio gave an excellent depiction of his presidency on her program.. A friend had streamed it online ~

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:239294
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.