Agnostic.com

4 0

Would you live in a society that was governed by science?

I often say that my ideal society is one based on objectivity and facts. A system where evidence and logic are the rule of law. Would you support that kind of government?

jayneonacobb 7 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Governance is outside the purview of science. Scientists and technologists are often lousy administrators / leaders for the exact reason they're good at what they do.

In any case ... government should be representative of all kinds of people. A government run purely by scientists would probably, eventually, crap all over artists, heavy equipment operators and restaurant owners.

I would have to disagree. The facts are that people need housing and food. People prefer the best when they can get it. As far as art goes, I know many scientists that are also artists.

@jayneonacobb My point wasn't about artists specifically, just that a representative government has to represent non-scientists too. We need all the ideas / influences / perceptions in the mix that we can get. I don't see scientists as necessarily dispassionate men in white lab coats, devoted impartially to facts and facts only. The whole reason the Scientific Method exists is to control for the confirmation bias and other mental quirks that scientists have, just like everyone else does. Also -- science tells us HOW to make a nuclear bomb, but not WHETHER we should make or use one. So scientists would not automatically make good policy. Maybe a coalition of scientists, technicians, philosophers and ethicists, would at least be better than Trump. But then again I'D make a better president than Trump.

@mordant I agree with that. I'm just saying that we know art is harmless and brings joy to people. That's an objectively good thing. There is morality to be found in science and facts.

Yes I’d support it as long as it was reasonable and democratic and conservative. The one we have now is a damn sight better than the one we had for 8 year under that idiot Obama!

I'm talking about a completely nonpartisan society that needs no leadership. One that doesn't pass laws until there is enough data to make a ruling or policy.

Sure, I would like that. Are you anticipating trouble from the romantic crowd?

No, just wanted to see if anyone had a better idea. It's not my idea, just one I happen to think is good.

Yeah, sounds good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23979
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.