Agnostic.com

3 0

The " shoulds/shouldn'ts " have nothing to do with reality. When someone tells me I should be or do something I equate it to the idea that even though it is a cloudy day I "should" be able to see the sun...because I want to. Or when someone says I shouldn't do something I am in fact doing I point out that this is the reality and "should" has NOTHING to do with it. Should is a means of trying to control and change that which is. I refuse to allow that kind of control to be placed upon me by someone else.

Catlynn 2 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I especially dislike "You should be able to" or "You shouldn't have to." As to the concept that one should obey the law...either I choose to or I choose not to and am ready (or not) to accept the consequences. Or I should go to work...it's all in the circumstances...if I am I'll going to work may be a terrible idea. If my child is I'll going to work may be a bad choice. But then maybe I am I'll and if I don't go to work I lose my job...then??? I guess my point is that being told I should be or do something other than what is actually happening is not useful. It is like telling someone in the unemployment line "You should get a job." Having been laid off before, that kind of comment is incredibly irritating and unhelpful. Rant over.

My mother used to drive me nuts with "should be's" I'd ask, is dinner ready? She'd say, "it should be." Is the washing machine available? It should be. Is the car in the garage? It should be." She could never say, "yes" or "no." It was always it "should be."

SamL Level 7 Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, people generally tend to build these little boxes and comfort zones around themselves and they tend to get unnerved or upset when people happily exist and live their lives outside of what they consider to be normal, even if their boundaries are arbitrary drawn.

I happen to be legally blind. A couple days ago I replaced a light fixture and and one of those electrical outlets with the built in circuit breaker in my sister's house.

I also generally take care of her garden (at least the edicble part), have built (or rther rebuilt, because the old ones were falling apart) raised planters, hae taken out two large trees including the stumps (in part using a chain saw). I like to go on day hike, ride my bike, go to the gym and generally just enjoy life. I do things all the time that people tell I cant' or shouldn't do, because they have ideas in their minds of my limitations, which are not really accurate.

The point is that each individual has to determine what is right for themselves and not let other people try to enforce their idea of limitations or expectations onto them.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2403
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.