Agnostic.com

3 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sad how Bret came to broad public exposure. But, sure am glad he has.

I just watched it all. Thanks skado.

As a layperson I am fully on board with evolution theory, and also I see nothing wrong with social evolution. For example, it makes perfect sense to me that tribes that did not protect women—that sent them to war or to hunt dangerous animals—those tribes died out. However, I can not accept that evolution is driven only by random selection. IMO evolution is driven by conscious decisions. Even Weinstein mentioned that we need to consciously seize control. I think there has been conscious control all along.

I don’t understand why there isn’t more mention of epigenetics. Are people clinging to a religious-like dogmatic belief in a meaningless mechanistic world view? Is it too scary to think there might actually be more to reality than that? A LOT more.

" I think there has been conscious control all along."

By something other than Homo sapiens?

@skado

Yes, I lean toward thinking such a thing. Maybe Homo Sapiens are a part somehow of an aware universe.

It’s just too hard for me to believe that things fall together by random accidents.

@WilliamFleming
You've probably heard all this, but it wasn't all random:

[patheos.com]

@skado

OK, so evolution is not totally based on random happenings—only the mutations are random. The very rare beneficial mutation is supposedly preserved through natural selection while all the others are weeded out.

I still have trouble accepting that standard evolution theory tells the whole story. One reason is the staggering complexity of organisms. That all of this could come into existence at all, no matter by what agency, is a miracle beyond miraculous. The powers that be want us to believe that all is well-understood and that life arose through simple mechanistic processes which we are not to question. I have doubts.

Another reason: Why is no one talking about epigenetics? Studies show that adaptations do NOT happen primarily through natural selection, but through something else, something not easily understood with the mechanistic model but totally reasonable under the conscious-universe concept.
Out of respect for you I am saying “mechanistic” rather than “materialistic”. 🙂

Let’s agree that all those genetic traits are encoded in the spiral strands of DNA, all coiled up there, lying in the cell. Compare with the set of blueprints lying on a table in a construction shack. You’ve got your plans for a skyscraper lying there, but that building doesn’t build itself. Conscious beings read those plans and take action.

@WilliamFleming
"Studies show that adaptations do NOT happen primarily through natural selection"

I'm looking for those studies but not finding them. Where might I find more information on these studies?

@WilliamFleming
Thanks. I read all of the links, and it’s interesting stuff, but I don’t see that any of it justifies the statement: "Studies show that adaptations do NOT happen primarily through natural selection".

Looks like studies suggest natural selection isn’t the only contributor to evolution, but I don’t see anything that suggests, or even mentions a conscious universe.

From the last link:
“Accepting that epigenetics plays a role in evolution does not topple the science of genetics; embracing neo-Lamarckian ideas does nothing to challenge classic neo-Darwinian theory. The accepted sciences are essential and accurate, but part of a bigger, more nuanced story that expands our understanding and integrates all our observations into a cohesive whole.”

@skado

I think I got the idea from the book by Jerry Fodor, the American philosopher, “What Darwin Got Wrong”. Fodor believes that natural selection plays a secondary role. But you are right, although Fodor cites studies, it’s the opinion of a philosopher and not a scientific study. Regretfully I have to retract.

I never thought that epigenetics toppled the science of genetics or disproved the theory of evolution. What it does is show that the traditional way of understanding evolution, the way we were taught in school, is flawed and incomplete. I realize that few if any biological scientists are talking about a conscious universe. That kind of talk might get them fired.

In the final analysis, what I think is that no one understands the evolution of life and that the previous cock-sure, know-it-all posturing is unsubstantiated. IMO, the door is open a little bit to the idea that Universal Consciousness might play a role.

Universal Consciousnes, Panspiritism, or whatever you want to call it is not supernatural religious babble—some very astute scientists have advocated the concept. It is unproven metaphysics, but it is perfectly legitimate to think about and discuss.

@WilliamFleming
Yes, it’s all interesting to think about and discuss. I enjoyed watching this video (and I could almost follow the discussion! 🙂 )

@skado

I made it partway through—maybe I’ll come back later. The book is a lot more understandable but it was a long time ago that I read it.

Here’s a link to a very thorough treatment of Universal Consciousness:

[ecstadelic.net]

I’ll post it so anyone interested can read.

Great stuff. But obviously they are like alt-right because they believe in scientific results.

@Gator Yes. Yet, many are being labeled alt-right by the regressive-lefters because of their deference to facts.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:241980
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.