Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK Southern Baptist Seminary Confronts History Of Slaveholding And 'Deep Racism' | Northwest Public Broadcasting

I recently did a posting on “The Lost Cause of the Confederacy.” I was hit with a couple of people who were upset with this and denigrated me and the Smithsonian. Well guess what, we have been vindicated from this report on NPR (from the Southern Baptist of all people). The southern apologists have got to get their heads out of the sand! Listen to the report.

JackPedigo 9 Dec 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can you find me another way to this. Ever since NWPB renamed I can't get into the site. Says this site cannot provide a secure connection.

I tried doing a search under the heading shown in my heading and came up with this: [wamu.org]

@JackPedigo Thank you so much!! I am really frustrated I can't get the NWPB site to open on my computer. I don't know if it's my service provider or my old computer. Need to research that problem.

@JackPedigo It is a step in the right direction sadly their taint will take generations more to undo. The 7th Day Adventist have a similar thinking about blacks, a woman looked me right in the eye and stated. "You know they are not as smart as us." I set her straight, in a nice way and ended with it is my experience that white folk are just as stupid as black folk.

@silverotter11 For many religionists (especially white ones) anthropocentric is actually ethnocentric (tribal centered). They have been in this track for so long they have become totally blind to it's implications. Imagine if they were living in Africa they would be considered inferior. The same goes for Asia. Asians make up a much, much larger portion of the global population so we are really a minority in this regard. There is no such thing as race. Everything is simply one tribe against others.

@JackPedigo I did not use those words with her, but basically said that, if course being a smart ass I had to add the last line about we are all stupid. A lot of these people do not think of themselves as being in a tribe, so convinced they are superior. You are correct about how Asians view us, whites are inferior to them in their thinking. It's really sad.

My mother was raised as a Southern Baptist. Aside from bitchingly rough discipline she never sent us to church and never went herself. As an adult, I asked her once why she hadn't sent or taken us to the SB. She replied, "I didn't want to inflict that upon you."

I really get the craps of it's heritage you wouldn't understand t-shirt people with the flag of Northern Virginia. I ask them questions they, stupidly, can't answer: what's the Stars and bars; what flag is that; and my favorite, why does that flag have 13 stars. And once I piss them off, I say, oh, I could join the son's of the confederacy as my Great grandfather fought. I'm glad he lost; I'm glad he lived; I'm glad my family had no slaves. Still, just being a part of a traitorous cause is nothing to be proud about.

Unfortunately, many are trying to not have to deal with guilt and handle this through denial and becoming apologists. My late partner's daughter and son have become SB's. In this respect they became a disappointment to her. The religion has a lot of problems but admitting their guilt in this issue is a positive sign.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:244636
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.