Agnostic.com

8 5

Music and the cerebral listener

I am a Progressive Rock musician. I love the genre and have found that it attracts intelligent and scientific minds. What is you favorite band and or musician that encourages you to fall into a deep contemplative mental state?

RedskyRiver 6 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Richard Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Beethoven, Holst, Mussorgsky and many, many others.
Soundtracks from John Williams, and many, many others,
ElO, Styx, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Elton John etc.

Although I'm much more into classical music, I enjoy the complexities of Dream Theatre.

To get that "in the zone" mental feeling, I find I prefer trance music with rolling bass lines and female vocalists with soaring voices. For my money, Delerium is the very best at this, and there are others: Enigma is the most famous, but other artists and groups like Amethystium, Royksopp, Ivy, The Xx, Sneaker Pimps, Olive, and Mono do the trick nicely.

For me, Prog Rock is generally for long-distance driving, because the artists often work in lyrical or musical themes over the course of a whole album, and I like to be able to appreciate how the themes weave and change all at once.

Cal me old fashioned, but the Modern Jazz Quartet always plucks my strings. Jimmy Smith is my other goto groove when I need to stimulate the old squash.

You talking over 40 years ago... my brain now has other fish to fry in that pan. I saw Emerson, Lake and Palmer in their prime. From the Beginning...

ELP was on of the reasons that I also started playing piano and playing / rebuilding synthesizers.

@RedskyRiver And you are a better human because of it. You were challenged to be inspired and you followed the road. Cool.

It does irritate me when people say it is your "god" given talent. I like to say it was my genetic & enviromental talent.

For this genre: Pink Floyd hands down

Tangerine Dream.

Radiohead. <3

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24484
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.