Agnostic.com

7 8

LINK Escape From the Trump Cult | The New Republic

This article is quite long but a very worthwhile read. It talks about how people can become more entrenched in their beliefs when their beliefs are challenged. The article focuses on Trump supporters, but the same argument holds for religious believers. The key to getting them to see the light is to gradually nudge them in the right direction by asking them questions about their beliefs so they eventually begin to question things themselves. But first you have to gain their trust and show them that you care. So no matter how much you want to slap them around and tell them to wake up, that is really the worst thing you can do.

ATDayHiker 7 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great article thanks!

My friend Bernie the Attorney, a former ambulance chasing trial lawyer (actually more of an Erin Brockovich), pointed out that when the facts you present clash too severely with their own worldview, they just tune out and raise the shields. It takes a special patience to walk them through things in order to come to a particular conclusion themselves, though often is just not possible.

Like deprogramming the Moonies, hahaha

Me, horrified: "Don't you realize the Confederate flag in your garage is a symbol of racism?"

Her: " No, it's NOT. The Confederate flag is a symbol of Southern pride!"

Me: "'The Confederate flag is a symbol of racism, plain and simple,' black waiters told me in Georgia. You did not grow up in the South."

Her: " It's a sign of redneck pride!"

Me: "How do your kids' minority friends feel when they see the Confederate flag in your garage?"

Her: "They don't care."

Her daughter: "I hate it when you two argue."

Me: "Let's agree to disagree." We hug.

After I left, she removed the Confederate flag.

Great Story! Just like the one I had recently with my Fox News loving 90 year old snow white uncle. He's still stuck on the subject of the statues and the history they represent. After much discussion what seems to finally trip his conscience was when I asked him if he thought that schools should teach black history or only white history, he then realized that there is a difference in what history actually is and that it is not color blind. This was the second discussion on this subject, the first started with the confederate flag and when he defended white supremacy I had to leave. Im actually glad he brought it up again as I never would have. Thing is I'm sure he didn't remember it the next day, or to take his pills.

Willful ignorance.

I have found that if you tell something that is uncomfortable or contrary to their pesent thinking without them asking, they may politlely pretend to listen, but it go in one ear and the other. But if they ask, they will actually listen. may even consider. You have a better chance if its not forced, but presented in a patient, but confrontational manner. That is in my experience.

Good point.

Once the SHEEP have made their public commitments/professions of faith/etc....they'd look like the idiots they are if they have to back-track! People just don't want to do that, do they? They'd rather know in their hearts that they're wrong than admit it publicly. One of our worst traits, I'm afraid.

It's much easier to fool someone then for them to see they were fooled.

Sounds like how you train a puppy.

Or a toddler!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:246275
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.