Agnostic.com

3 1

Religion and young children?

My 6 year old daughter has expressed an interest in "god," and I was wondering how other non-theist parents handle that discussion. She told me that she believes in god, and she prays. How do you handle this topic?

DalasM 4 Dec 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Now I started by going with an older couple around the 5-6. We moved and stopped till my brother found a Pentecostal girl he liked. We started going on the bus to that my age was 8-9. I thought I believed in god.... (mind you my parents never went,never!)I had cut my hair one day and oh no was wearing shorts. There was a youth group and a huge stage. It had instruments and a pair of microphones. I asked to go up and sing.... you know I was told "No, that I want not dressed properly for "god"." I left in a fit of rage and sadness. I went home and told my mother. She always encouraged all 4 of us kids to question everything and find out the meaning of things. She told me what ever I wanted to believe she would stand behind me. So I started doing research and realized I didn't believe in God at all I didn't believe in any of it. The moral of the story is stand behind your child. they're young and trying to understand the world and you as a parent must let them know that you will always be there for them no matter what they believe in, she may change her mind the older she gets.

My 6 year old grandson ask me if I believed in god and when I replied “l don’t believe in something that doesn’t exist” then he replied, but papa if you don’t believe in god you will go to hell. The indoctrination of young children discuss’s me but there’s not to much I can do about this particular incident as sending him to church is his parents decision. I can only hope that maybe someday he’ll see the light. I spend a lot of time with him and really enjoy it. I guess it possible that maybe sometime old papa might “corrupt him”.

I raised my three children to be curious, and to be critical thinkers. I offered them my opinion on religion and gods, and explained other religions to them. I introduced them to Greek, Roman, and Norsk gods, and proffered that in most ancient cultures the gods and goddesses were created to answer questions we now turn to science to explain. They quickly and easily decided that gods were no longer necessary in our enlightened and scientific societies.

Children, however, will continue to be conditioned (brainwashed) by parents who grew up with whatever religion their own parents taught them. I broke the tradition, as I did not want my children crippled by a faith that had no useful reason to exist. My children are wonderful, moral, ethical, intelligent, cultured, educated, happy, and fun people, so the lack of a religious up-bringing was NOT detrimental - quite the contrary!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:246389
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.