Agnostic.com

8 0

QUESTION In The Wake Of Rob Porter Allegations, Mormon Women Say Church Leaders Encouraged Them To Stay With Their Abusers

Spreading news will help sometimes to wake up the unconsciously involved.

Gert 7 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's a flag, to point out the problem. Of course, there is bad, worse, worst. Churches, sects and individual situations like these where the power is handed over to one family member, the man. It's a inhuman manipulation of the mindset of people, whoever they are.

Gert Level 7 Feb 16, 2018

The mormons aren't the only ones. The Catholic church does it too. And probably many others.

That's what I call religious SOP.

No skeletons in this closet. Nosiree.

godef Level 7 Feb 15, 2018

I converse now and then with an older, liberal Mormon who would doubtless insist that this is NOT what Mormonism actually teaches. She does admit that the church waffles on LGBTQ issues and that she has spoken out openly against it. My guess is that her particular congregation is relatively liberal and so tolerates her activism. But also I'm pretty sure she's in denial about stuff like this. That, and I think there is quite a bit of daylight between some official church positions and the actual beliefs and sensibilities of many actual members. I think a lot of "nudge-wink" goes on where the church officially takes one position but does not really teach it or speak against contrary positions.

It's what you'd expect from a religious group trying to distance itself from some very problematic past positions without seeming to undermine the alleged inerrancy of their leadership and holy writings (and they have a lot more than just the Bible to cope with -- there's the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and I think a few smaller / lesser documents that are considered inspired -- also they have a view of inerrancy for church leaders and proclamations not unlike those Catholics have for the Pope and church tradition).

Does this surprise anyone?

JimG Level 8 Feb 15, 2018

Of course they did. Most of them do.

not surprising.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24658
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.