Agnostic.com

5 2

Is spirituality the same as emotionality?

atheist 8 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd say no based on spirit is intangible and emotionality is tangible. You can say your spirit is feeling joyful today but you can't prove it. You can also say I feel sad today and your behavior, tone of voice, facial expressions all show that to be true.

SamL Level 7 Oct 24, 2017

Difficult to answer a question such as this when it seems everyone has a different definition for what the feel each means. It is all just rhetoric. Like for me I think they are different. To me emotionality it a changing thing based on reactions to things and spirituality to me is more what you are as a person. Like i can be happy, sad, angry, confused but no matter what I have a free positive spirit

DeiP Level 5 Oct 4, 2017

It's nonsense!

I would have to say no they are not the same. I would say emotionality is defined as the measure of a person's emotional reactivity to a stimulus. I would say that spirituality is the label placed on the emotion by someone willing to accept the irrational idea that they know something they could not possibly know. This is the core of what I don't like about religion, claims to know facts based on personal experience. Confirming "truth" about a claim using personal experience as the measure of truth is almost as bad as faith.

they're not the same, I also support that view

Sure, an example would be I know my faith is a reliable source of knowledge because I feel the presence of my Lord a savior. That's what I mean by claiming you know something you can't possibly know.

This is a very interesting question. Thank you for bringing up this topic.

At first, I was thinking that at the very least, the two have a direct relationship with each other. I wasn't going to say that emotionality and spirituality are the same thing. Probably because of my past with spirituality. I am sure people would think I was a fool with in a state of high spiritual influence, if that makes sense.

Now due to thinking about it, I think spirituality may be a form of emotionality. I think spirituality comes from a stimulus like emotionality does (whether it be someone saying that you are being promoted at work, you start thinking about your true purpose in life). A different name for the same thing, if you will.

However, when being "slain by the spirit," for example, it gives people the permission to do culturally abnormal things (e.g., shout really loud, speak in tongues). Spirituality may give people a reason to unleash their emotions in a abnormal way, which may be of benefit to those who are really spiritual.

But that is in the context of attending a church. People who claim to be spiritual but doesn't claim any particular faith are using emotionality. However, they may use their intuition more then those who aren't spiritual, believing that a Higher Power is possibly guiding them to behave in a certain way, make a certain decision, etc.

All hypothetical, however. Made me think. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:247
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.