Agnostic.com

12 2

What is your most trusted source for scientific information? I'm looking for education on the brain. Neurology, psychology, that sort of thing.

Levi_Hinton 7 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Scientific American

For me staying updated with science isn't easy since finding books and magazines with updated information in the science world especially dealing with the quantum physics side of the science field since that's my major in science for all studies of science though not just one part or side of science. I'm a book warm with street smart education as well for this kind of thing. Don't really like technology for staying updated since I am still learning on how to us them.

Mostly through my textbooks, but I've been out of school for a couple years now. I've been meaning to order a scientific journal to stay up-to-date on current research, but a lot of the nice ones are kinda pricey!

I like Scientific American, New Scientist, and a few other others--in that order. I can't afford Nature, but I'd love to receive a gift subscription.

There are good books, but many scientists do blogs, talks, and conventions that are online. I get very interesting information from scientists to atheist activists on YouTube.

Some of Sam Harris's podcasts deal with those topics.

JohnQ Level 3 Feb 15, 2018

Sciencedaily.com

Great for any level of interest or education. Follow its links for even more in-depth research/learning.

I concur. [sciencedaily.com] It's in my bookmarks rotation. It's science news without the hyperbole found in other "info-tainment" sites.

LiveScience.com, Space.com

PubMed

I'd start with an introductory psychology text to get an initial background and see what areas particularly interest you, should be able to pick up one that isn't the latest edition for a reasonable price at a second hand bookshop or online. Some suggestions here [online-psychology-degrees.org].
Once you decide which rabbit hole to disappear down I'd again get a standard text in that field as well as starting to browse the peer reviewed journals. I'd also recommend trying to learn at least some basic statistics because unless you understand terms like "significant difference", "confidence interval" and "effect size" it is easy to misinterpret a lot of the stuff in journal articles because the language used does not always line up with normal usage.

Kimba Level 7 Feb 15, 2018

Journals, google scholar will get you to them. Some will require purchase, though.

Nature journal.Really big words. I always need a dictionary.

Any peer reviewed journal is usually accurate. The AMA is a good starting point. They cite their sources well.

The National Institutes of Health. I prefer to read the research myself. [nih.gov]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24714
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.