Agnostic.com

2 1

Brexit / Breakups / Celebrate difference

Here in the UK we are going through the final convulsions of Brexit (British exit from European Union). It's divided us and it will take years for the wounds to heal.
However, ever the light hearted nationalist* that I am, what neighbouring or rival county, state, region or nation do you feel you could both live with and without?
For me it's England and the USA. As a Scot, I was brought up as a default nationalist, taught to resent England and all that she imposed upon us. What I have since learnt is that there is little difference between us and that all the inequity is borne out of population size and political power; nothing to do with the relative nature of either population. This explains why they beat us at sport (mostly) and boss the UK parliament.
Extrapolating this further we have the UK and USA. Having overcome my England anxiety ( I've lived there for 18 yrs and love it), I become a 'Britisher' my attention turns to our badass cousin, USA. How hilarious and rediculous I feel that this nation makes me feel so small and yet reassured in equal measure. Some days it feels like a takeover and others a reassuring thumbs up from a good friend and neighbour.
What I take from this is that there is no good reason to have a fixed opinion on anything and certainly no reasonable purpose for nationalism; not even if football is called soccer and they drive on the wrong side of the road. ?
Love and peace. ?

*not really a nationalist, just frustrated that Scotland will never win the World Cup. ?

tartanathiest 5 Dec 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a Scot who lives in the US and has an English mum and who used to live in the BWI ....I am constantly torn in my loyalties! Lol

It’s all one big weird, dysfunctional family.

I consider myself a Scot although I'm more European (only 5 percent British). I'm not particularly fond of the Brits & their adulation of their phony, parasitic aristocracy.
I could understand you feeling reassured by the US if you were one of the ruling class. However if you are just middle class you are just considered a debt serf to be exploited/controlled by the kleptocracy which the US supports.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:247623
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.