Agnostic.com

11 0

Do you suffer with depression?

Are non-believers more prone to it?

Draco 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have ADD and dysthymia, like JoplinAtheist1 in this thread. Both are lightning rods for clinical depression.

It's not fun. I have a hard time engaging people in conversation. I have a hard time getting chores done. And I'm currently preparing to take a HESI Exit test to qualify for the NCLEX test to become an LPN... and I just can't bring myself to study. I'm in the house I grew up in and my dad is really anxious to sell it. And if I just took and passed these two tests, I can become an LPN and afford rent on an apartment. And I can't bring myself to do things like eat or climb out of bed.

I don't know if atheism or agnosticism carry depression as a side effect, but I am pretty sure it comes from not-so-great genes or upbringing.

I have the symptoms of Dysthymia, now known as persistent depressive disorder (PDD).
My wife of 46 years died 21 months ago. I have not got over it. I cry every day.
I finally figured out I am 'trying to fix it' by putting things back the way they were.
Tried the dating sites. Didn't work. Am Agnostic so I don't fit in the church help groups.
Am an introvert so I don't mingle well. I see no solution. So I continue depressed.

I have PDD, too. It's not fun.

Sometimes,but not often.

I don't know if non-believers are more prone to it, but I do know that I have had a depressive disorder since I was 13 that has escalated into severe clinical depression now that I'm 24.

I have major depressive disorder. I don't believe that non-believers are more prone to it. Just the question makes me laugh, tbh. Depression and anxiety issues run in my family, plus I am a survivor of child abuse with C-PTSD and you don't go through stuff like that unscathed.

TamiB Level 3 Oct 8, 2017

I do suffer from depression now and then but I think its due to health issues.

I wonder if intelligent, freethinking and creative people are more prone to it - and more prone to lack of belief.

Do you mean: are there higher levels of anxiety among non-believers, related to their non-belief? If so,
initially yes, but currently no.

what, me worry?

Yes. I suffer from mild bi-polar

You're not alone. Many suffer from mild bipolar.

Yes i suffer from it have my whole life along with ptsd anxiety borderline personality disorder and bipolar my whole life has sucked if i didn't have my daughter i wish my mom had a abortion with me for really

I grok that feeling. My mom didn't have the option to abort me. But you are making a difference even if your brain is broken. I'm burned out right now so I'm not in a great place but always feel you can reach out for an understanding ear.

I think that it takes an effort to realize that the ramifications of there being no God are not all valid and there is a bright side. These would include: That there is no meaning to life, there is no reward for the suffering we feel during life. When people die, they will never again be in my presence.

1. There is meaning in life, a ton of meaning. Nobody but myself is dictating what is and isn't significant. I'm the arbiter of what I find wondrous and whether the theist realizes it or not they still create their meaning in life.
  2. There may be no reward after death for the suffering I experience while I'm alive. My reward is that since I accept this, I can make sure that this life, the only life I have or will ever have is the best I can make it. I won't waste this life, waiting for life 2.0 which will never come. Awareness of what is real is a much better reward for all its incredible implications.
  3. Everyone I have lost brings me sadness, but I don't think my grief is greater than the theist. Our loss is relatively the same.

Exactly, there is definitely a bright side.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:249
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.