Agnostic.com

27 18

I'll Pray for you. Building bridges between Theist and Atheist.

My son aged 17 has a hereditary disease that has caused severe deformity in his bones. Just before he turned 17 about two months ago he had a total knee replacement in his right knee and two weeks ago he had a total knee replacement in his Left.

I went to the local liquor store and Mike the owner asked how my son was doing. I said the second knee was not doing very well. It is minorly infected and if we do not control it he might have to live in Childrens hospital for three to six months while they work on it.

We spoke about it a while and on the way out the door he somewhat uncomfortably said "I'll pray for him, I know your an atheist,"

I almost rudely interrupted him. I could feel his apology coming on and was not going to allow it to happen. I said, "No, you are in no way being condescending, you are expressing that you care and would like to do what you can to help. I appreciate that. Thank you."

I wished him a good day and left. I do not like the term "I'll pray for you." Usually it is snarky and pious, and said as if I know better and I will ask my God to make you learn better. In that case I will call the person out for being rude without hesitation. My friend felt helpless and did truly have the best of intent.

The takeaway. With my response he instantly knew that while we disagreed on whether God existed or if prayer could help at all, he knew I was a human that cared about my son and him and appreciate him as a human. If religion ever comes up again he will be much more likely to listen to what I have to say. We will actually be able to have a conversation.

Have you had similar experiences? What do you think of my response? I am among the most vocal of atheist here, my point is there is a time to be a "Hard Atheist" and a time to be the diplomat.

DavidLaDeau 8 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I totally agree. Perhaps the unavoidable helplessness that comes along with life is where humans find the need for a sky daddy . Someone said something to me one time that really caused me to think. They said that worry is a prayer for something bad to happen. We all pray like it or not. Perhaps prayer is a form of Hope.

I think your friend was wise and you were wise to pick up on the subtle intricacies of prayer. While I certainly do not actively pray at all ever, I do agree that it could be and is a form of hope. In that since if that is the specific thing we are speaking of, I pray all day long for humans everywhere. I have been such an avid atheist for so long I overlook such things. Thank you

He could just as easily have said "I'll be thinking of you". Because, let's face it, he knows & we know praying doesn't do shit.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24996
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.