Agnostic.com

2 0

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's interesting. He sat down next to David Silverman I would not have him to have been there.

The best thing he said was that the vote was about if religion does harm in society not about whether it was capable of doing good. This is often the argument made when an atheist states that religion does harm. The truth of the statement is simply ignored and justified by saying that religion can do good.

The time has come for all people to stop accepting or "tolerating" superstition and fraud, and instead, to call it what it is. It is time to state clearly that God is imaginary. Religion is pure superstition, nothing more -- It is time for us to begin eliminating the superstition and fraud from public discourse, for the simple reason that superstition and fraud are detrimental to society.

In principle I agree. In practice, I'm not so sure that it wouldn't just create a backlash because society isn't ready to have its kiddie toys taken from it. In fact I think we are living out something of a backlash against rationalism / empiricism which was gaining some purchase. This alarmed the reactionary elements of theism and now we are entering what may be a lengthy period of regression in the form of Trumpism and other expressions of white nationalism, xenophobia and anti-secularism around the world.

I think calling a spade a spade is generally a good thing but I don't know if it's sustainable unless humanity does a good deal more evolving. At the same time, evolution / development / maturation DO come from putting away childish things. I'm conflicted about how to proceed as a society. Indeed, the US is such a polarized society there may be no consensus on which TO proceed. I just hope it's not our undoing.

@mordant We must carry the Torch of Reason over the murky waters of Faith and Superstition, to a new beginning and a peaceful world.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25153
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.