Agnostic.com

4 0

QUESTION Millions of Americans as destitute as the world’s poorest? Don’t believe it. - Vox

It is true that America has serious problems of poverty and inequality. These inequities have resulted in quite shocking outcomes for America’s poorest. For example, 34 percent of households surveyed in Lowndes County, Alabama, recently tested positive for hookworm. Hookworm transmission occurs by way of feces and is easy to avoid if one has modern sanitation, but in the same county, 42 percent of the sampled households were exposed to raw sewage within their home. This is a national disgrace, and it highlights the dire plight of America’s poor.

zblaze 7 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Before or as well as help we need to stop doing harm.

Before we debate about what huge efforts we should put into housing refugees we should stop making people into refugees in the first place. Funding rebels in Syria may help our influence in the Middle East but it made 9 million refugees.

I have to say I agree with Angus though only after adding in also the mental agony in America (officially it is called 'mental health', but only so people can make money off it).

The gap between rich and poor is growing rapidly around the world. Some of the countries you think are very poor still may have extremely wealthy people. Lowering the population would help around the world. Charities are a band-aid solution only. We need social and economic changes.

I am not really surprised by that. Three years ago, we visited a selection of Southern states to get to Clarksdale, Mississippi. The poverty is blatant and unremittant in some of those areas. Poverty like that becomes dangerous, especially since the picture of America shown on TV and what one sees standing in the hollows, dustry streets and alleys are so blatant. And I know, having worked for a health related non-profit , semi-government agency for a few years, that those states were the first to do away with services and have stepped up the propaganda of government services as the enemy of the American motto of self- determination. So what can we do except sound the alarm and bolster public health programs?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25158
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.