Agnostic.com

4 0

Why is Mormonism sometimes considered to be a separate religion from Christianity?

What makes the sect of Mormonism different enough to be considered a separate religion from Christianity compared to other Christianity sects and even within the Restortion branch?

SeanBab 4 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Every group wants to feel superior to other like groups. There are other sects that consider themselves separate from Protestants.

I think it has something to do with their belief that there are gods and gods and GOD. If you're a very faithful Mormon and you have multiple wives, wear the funny undies, etc....you can become a god.

Really.

I think an actual Mormon would take that as a mischaracterization, but I think it's fair to say it's a variation on perfectibility in humans become more progressively god-LIKE at least.

There is this planet (or star, depending on how you interpret it) in Mormonism's Pearl of Great Price (another of their holy books) called Kolob which is physically located closest to god's throne. I also believe there's some notion that eventually Mormons, or at least sufficiently devout ones, eventually get their own planet to rule over. Some of these teachings were more literally believed and taught in the past than they are today, as the early Mormons such as Joseph Smith used to say that astronomy would eventually confirm the Mormon cosmology and the things it asserted, such as Kolob, and of course, that did not happen, and isn't going to happen.

It depends on one's definition of Christianity.

Technically, to orthodox, mainstream Christians, a Christian is one who subscribes to the historic creeds of the Christian church that, with minor variations, most Christians would consider failure to subscribe to, to be heretical. These include things like the divinity of Christ, the virgin birth, the Trinity, and something called Sola Scriptura, the notion that 100% of divine revelation is in the Christian Bible.

Mormonism fails the Sola Scriptura test, as they elevate The Book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants, and a couple of other texts to have equal authority to the Bible. And so some Christians consider them heretical. In fact it's fair to say that most of official Christendom must, definitionally, consider them heretical. How most individual Christians feel is more questionable. Most of them don't know or care what Mormonism teaches, and since Mormons believe Jesus was god, are willing to allow them to at least be the crazy uncle in the basement, so to speak, and overlook their pecadilloes.

For their part, Mormons consider the historic creeds to themselves be heretical codifications of longstanding heresies and misbeliefs, and see their church as restoring to the world a true form of Christianity that has been lost since almost the days of the original apostles. Practically speaking, they want to be seen as Christian because it helps overcome the relative youth and minority status of their faith, conferring more perceived credibility upon them. Also, they feel they love the same God and revere Jesus as god as much or more than other Christians, so ... they want to claim the label.

It's similar for other minority groups. Take the Jehovah's Witnesses for example (please). JWs are annihilationsists (you don't go to hell if you don't believe, you just don't go to heaven) and they are unitarian (do not believe in the Trinity; Jesus is literally Jehovah's son). For these reasons, per the Creeds, they are heretical. But they arguably have as much right as anyone else to self-label themselves as Christians. There are tens of millions of essentially non-practicing cultural Christians all over the world, who never go to church or who only show up at Christmas, Easter, christenings, weddings and funerals (name 'em, marry 'em, bury 'em). JWs are generally more devout than that, so why can't THEY be Christians if they want, also?

Well technically because they don't profess the set of beliefs that have come to define Christianity. But increasingly, people don't let that get in the way of letting people identify as they wish to.

There's another reason a subset of Christians -- mostly fundamentalists -- regard groups like Mormons and JWs as heretical, and that is their failure to adhere to a lot of more specific teachings that flow FROM the Creeds. Once you reject Sola Scriptura, you can claim extra-Biblical authority for notions about the afterlife, magic underwear, and whether dead relatives can be posthumously "saved" by the intervention of living survivors, etc. A fundamentalist Christian, especially, would reject these because they aren't taught (or at least readily inferable from) the Bible. A fundamentalist regards that as the ultimate blasphemy.

To clarify one thing you stated about the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses, being a former Elder of that church, most of them don't think they are going to heaven. They teach, using Revelation (Revelation 7:9-14) as proof, that only 144,000 of them are going to heaven. The rest of the faithful JWs believe that they will live forever on earth, in a garden, with animals who will become vegetarians, happily ever after.

@sfvpool Yeah thanks, I've forgotten more comparative religion class than I remember. Isn't the current dogma modified because there have long been more than 144,000 JWs and the basic notion is that everyone who is a faithful JW gets a positive afterlife (of whatever kind), and the 144K are now just the extra privileged and good ones? Isn't that essentially the idea from an outsider's summary perspective?

@mordant Their teachings about the 144,000 are kind of vague. Basically, if I remember correctly (it has been over 30 years since I left that religion), only 144,000 of their members, since their founding, are selected by god to be judges and to go to heaven upon their death. The remaining members -- the ones not chosen to be one of the 144,000 judges --- will either never die, if their Armageddon happens before they die, or will be brought back to life, if they die before Armageddon.

How the 144,000 are chosen is a mystery, but only the ones chosen will know that they were chosen. They say you will know it in your heart. When I was a JW, I never felt that I was chosen, but there were some pretty weird people who claimed to be chosen. I thought they just wanted to be special, but it was not for me to judge (I guess I sinned by judging them unfit). It is between god and the individual.

Because it is...ersatz babble written by Joseph Smith under "divine inspiration" and tons of cultish stuff, like "secret underwear". Just weird!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:251804
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.