Agnostic.com

10 1

Choices in life

Why I was born without having the chance to choose my life?

Sunrise91 4 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is no chance unfortunately to choose the very important things in life .. like when and where we born and when and where we die and that’s a one of the many things that make me atheist!

I think there is no answer to the question "why" what another question or maybe what you're really asking is how?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read and comment on my post.
I'm just curious to know why poor / foundling / starving childern / royals or wealthy kids was born this way!

Meanwhile I'm unsure if everyone can see my profile / bio.
Thank you

Your profile is visible to me. It is a 2-sentence bio, which you might want to consider fleshing out a bit. Those persons on this site who are looking to meet / date seem to generally want a little more to go on. The other thing you can do to help yourself is to continue to interact regularly like this, which will add points and raise your level and help people to get to know you.

I think sometimes when we feel or see pain, or entitlement, we think in terms of "deserving" such a circumstance. I'm not sure Humanity could work if everyone got what they truly deserved. I believe "deserves" justifiable distribution to be a false expectation. And if we're asking what is perhaps a better question, "what's next?" the circumstance might be adjusted.

Your question presupposes that life is presided over by someone or something that is obligated and able to answer that question. It's not.

It is true that when prospective parents consider bringing a new person into existence, they should be very mindful of the fact that they are imposing life on someone who isn't able to choose it for themselves.

I don't buy the antinatalist rhetoric that everyone should rationally conclude that life is always at least a potential source of harm / suffering and so it's immoral to ever impose it on anyone when you can guarantee zero suffering by not bringing them into existence to begin with. That's defeatist. My daughter for example is quite firm in her conviction that she's glad to be alive. I don't follow her reasoning (if indeed it involves reasoning) but she's living proof that many people are willing to accept life, warts and all, and make the best of it.

That said, I always encourage people thinking of having children to be sure they really understand the responsibilities (as much as one can without firsthand experience) and that they are able to be reasonably sure that they are able to give their children a fighting chance at security and happiness. Children should always be planned, wanted, and ultimately nurtured. We can give them at least that much. The basic malfunction I have with parenting in practice is that it's often entered into in a very un-self-aware fashion, as something one is "supposed" to do or that just happens by itself, rather than a thing you can choose (or not choose) and that you can prepare for (or not).

According to a friend of mine in England we all got to choose our lives before we were born. So according to her you did have a choice and you picked this one. I asked why someone would choose to be born into slavery and she said to be an example for others.
You're correct that you didn't have a say, in my opinion, but you get to make the best of it while you're here. There are examples of all kinds of people who were born into nothing and ended up with a lot. So try doing things differently or reaching out for assistance.

lerlo Level 8 Dec 25, 2018

If you look into reincarnation, they believe you absolutely chose every single thing in this life to advance your soul. Just another interesting idea, I guess.......

If you were choose your life what kind of life would it be? Is it something that is within the realm of realization or is it wishful thinking, a hankering after something that is merely a product of the imagination, some state of affairs or conditions in which you imagine you will feel happy? A friend once said to me that it is not the situation of our life that makes us unhappy but our thoughts about the situation in which we find ourselves. Of course, if you find yourself in a hostile working environment then you leave and find other employment.

one way or another you're choosing it everyday.

Maybe you did, and were hit with an amnesia spell immediately afterwards.

biology?

MsAl Level 8 Dec 25, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:252011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.