Agnostic.com

3 0

LINK Ok Beto fans something to consider

It has come to light recently that Beto O’Rourke’s voting record has been anything but progressive and as pointed out in this article his supporters from the DNC and financial contributors are anything but progressive as well.

48thRonin 8 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beto is the flavor d'jour. The actual campaign is a year away and the convention a year and half. Thats plenty of time for the field to define itself. Beto might be there, he might not. Too early to speculate. Coming from TX, its hard to believe any politician in that state doesn't have some hydrocarbon industry money in their coffers. His position seems pretty middle of road when you consider his voting record. He will become what the DNC wants. Afterall, politicians are the most pliable people on the planet. One might say they are ethically limber. Lol

I can accept that. I’ve seen them do things that would freak out a circus in that respect.

Probably good to realize that he is a representative in Texas, and even the Democrats down here are just repub lite in a lot of these districts. He voted with his district is what I'm thinking. Who knows how much further he will grow in progressive thought now that he is going to be out of Congress.....

There are so few true progressive or liberal politicians; it’s difficult to be successful in the field without corporate sponsorship.

The games rigged and paid for but it will never change until they stop taking their money

Bernie Sanders managed quite well without corporate money. So did Ocasio-Cortez and many others who followed the Sanders model, and a lot of those won. Even O'Rourke ran his Senate campaign on the claim he wouldn't take special interest money, although I don't know how well he actually adhered to it.

@mordant I can't say Bernie did quite well he did lose the primary right? I don't consider Bernie a viable option unless I can run as a Democrat then switch to be an Independent when I win.

@MarkF Bernie always plays the long game. He's moved the party quite markedly to the left. He even forced Hillary left. He's changed the game. And absolutely no one thought he'd get anywhere near as far as he did.

Bernie always was and still is an independent who caucuses with Dems and ran for President as a Dem. Same as Angus King and others. And he has zero reason to become a Democrat, at least not on Democrat's terms. He has far more influence as he is. He was never disingenuous about what he was; he simply didn't meekly join the party when commanded.

I'm not saying Bernie is the best choice for 2020. The jury is out on that one. He's older, and thanks to his wife, he even has some political liabilities to contend with. I think he's got the best policies, still, but his uninspiring delivery can be a problem. Also, I don't know if he's put enough effort into building trust in minority communities; he seemed constitutionally incapable of seeing racism as anything but an economic justice issue for example. Also I can foresee people with weaker policy positions than I'd like, who might be better at actually running the government.

But I haven't yet seen anyone with Bernie's dogged ethical strength. He has some blind spots but always sticks to his principles. What you see is what you get. He's got rare integrity and a unique combination of tame ego and don't-give-a-fuck assertiveness. Frankly, I think the nation very foolishly looked a gift horse in the mouth (and now look what we've got). Bernie got me excited about politics for the first time in my rather lengthy adult life.

We'll see what happens but no matter whether he runs, wins or loses, I'm grateful to Bernie for his contribution to the national discourse throughout his life, and especially during and since the last presidential campaign.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:252501
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.