Agnostic.com

25 2

I would like to know what position atheists take on the prolife movement.

Personally I feel that women have the right to control their own bodies. I also support contraception as there are to many people in this world with a limited amount of materials.

• 4 votes
  • 59 votes
Marine 8 Oct 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would die, if I had to, to preserve a woman's right to choose.

We may have to make such sacrifices, no doubt.

To me, women should have the only say in what they do with their own bodies.
If you don't want an abortion, don't get one. If you need an abortion, get one.
End of discussion.

I take the position that the life o fthe woman is paramount and the potential life she may be carrying is secondary. It is less risky to the woman's life for her to have an abortion than it is for her to carry to term. Therefor it is th ewoman's right to choose to take on that risk or not.

The man, who in most cases where abortion is considered by a woman, is little more than a sperm donor. If there were a supportive relationship, in most cases abortion would not be at the forefront of choices. The man who duck financial responsibility, but insists on parental rights,makes for a poor situation in which to brign a child into the world.

Abortion became legal in the 1970's, an din the 1990's there was a dramatic decrease in violent crime. Why? Because there were fewer unwanted children growign up into adults and acting out.

The "Pro-Life" advocates ten dto also be for gun rights, to also be pro war, yet against assistance poor families feed their kinds. They are only "pro-life" only as long as it is a fetus. Once it is born and an actual child, then they no longer care until the kid becomes military age and can fight wars. I admit this is a cynical view of pro-lifers, but it is also how they generally are actually behaving.. If life is truly precious, then those views should carry on outside the womb. For most pro-lifers, it doesn't, because that would require them to do something themselves and for them to take on some responsibility. In their minds once a child is born, then that life is someone else's responsibility, which is just sad.

BTW, If you wan tot argue with believers on this, the Bible has only ever defined life as beginning with the first breath, "the breath of life". At the time the Bible was written it was not a life until it ws born alive. That was the culture of those times.

I have been saying for years the republicans support pro life until the child is born then they forget about the child until he can vote or shoot1thanks for the support.

It is possible to be both pro life and support a woman's right to choose. I would prefer that no abortions occur; but that is not realistic as there many reasons why a woman makes that difficult decision. And, it is not the place of government to force women to carry a pregnancy to term. The "pro life" movement is interested in controlling women. If they were interested in preventing abortions they would be all for proper education and free birth control.

A woman who is already living and breathing has more right to life than a fetus that may yet be born.

SamL Level 7 Oct 30, 2017

It is a shame that these same people prevent medical research and abandon these children later in life by preventing healthcare,food and education.

Would listen more to a 'pro-life' organisation if they also pledge to adopt any child created because they talked a woman out of terminating a cluster of cells before it became a baby.
They all seem to care deeply about embryos, until they leave the woman's body and become babies. Then they stop caring.
So, more pro-embryo than pro-life.

Allan Level 5 Oct 30, 2017

I agree Pro-lifers seem to fade away almost immediately after a baby is born. Dissappear when the child needs to be fed or clothed or housed. They are pro-breathing. You aren’t pro-life if you don’t support the nutrition, protection, education, and shelter of life. Life is far more encompassing than simply breathing so either get on board with everything which makes life possible....which in many cases these days comes with having a modicum of compassion for addicts. Instead of vilify a woman for bringing an opiate addicted “breather” into this world by tossing her in the “clink” and taking this “life” they profess to give a shit about away from her as a form of punishment.....

How does feeling morally superior help or support all the necessities which make a life possible?

They don't need to do that. Look adoption waiting list numbers for infants. There are 39 available couples waiting to adopt for every one infant available for adoption.

someone described his pro-choice stance this way recently: would I be legally allowed to force you to give me your kidney? No, it sounds silly but this is what we're doing to women by not allowing them to make their own life choices.

I personally do not believe in abortion which is why I have never had one. I also believe that it is NOT the government's or anyone else's place to determine what is right for any individual. Yes, it takes two to tango, but if that man isn't willing to not only carry it to term (which at the moment is impossible) and raise the child, they have no say.

The government promotes having many children by not requiring the father to support the child and not going after deadbeats,in addition the some women on welfare are forced by the man to give him money received for the care of the child. These guys should be placed in prison and neutered!!!!

I did not see an option for: Not a pretty thing, but arguably necessary. I'm not pro-life, that's for sure. But I don't think we should relegate something like this to some dichotomy.

men mind your own business. women care for your own

Choice always

I look at pro-life as against choice, and pro-abortion as pro-choice. Contraception is the best way to avoid unwanted pregnancy, and to ensure that women are able to choose when or if they want to get pregnant. If you're against abortion, don't have one. Why does everything women do have to be litigated? I can't imagine men putting up w/this kind of stuff when it comes to their bodies, and most of us wouldn't butt in on the choices men make.

Hello- no one litigates what you do w/your body including how many potential 'lives' you expel into the toilet, shower, or whatever rag you use when you need to release tension. Women pay child support when the ex has custody- I know a very nice woman whose husband raked her through the coals for over twenty years, and she still owes back money.

As a man, I will never have to make this decision, I may request the opportunity to be involved in this decision, but ultimately it's not my call. No woman ever woke up after a rough night, and said to herself, "I hope I'm pregnant, Because I can't wait to have an abortion." Yes the "state" may hold me financially responsible for a child. But enforcement is weak and loopholes abound. Birth control and education are probably the best defense against abortion. I find it quite disturbing that men think they have the authority and experience to try and legislate this issue.

Unfortunately men dominate the law making arena.

Ok, so many people disagree with what I have to say on this issue. I'm pro choice with a twist, since the womens rights movement moved up a gear I've noticed some flaws in there disputes across the board. This issues main flaw talks about pro choice is claiming fairness, a woman has the right to choose cause it's her body. Very well then agreed, it is her body. But to be (FAIR) the man should have the right to choose as well, that's (FAIR). It's her body she can choose to have the child or not, but it's his money he can choose to support the child or not, That's (FAIR). You can't use fair if your going to make accusations like this. Its no different than saying if Christmas can come and preach in public school than so can the Satanics. Sorry but that's fair.

Sorry, but that is so flawed. The man had a choice until he chose to have sex without a condom. The idea that you are having sex with a stranger or a casual without knowing their beliefs about abortion are so Trumpian, so without fore-thought, dare I say, Dick Brained!

Keep your talk in your pants or wrap your Willie. That's what I told my son, or belly-up to the bar and pay. By the by, he did knock her up. I advised them to get an abortion, she didn't. Lucky for him he got the child, she's smart and my special friend. And the girlfriend is gone.

Do I regret advising them to get an abortion, hell no! I love that little girl with all my heart and will be there for her as well.

I believe that women have the right to choose, but within the terms of the Roe v Wade decision.

I’m curios how many of you are or know someone who has aborted, parented AND chosen adoption?

Obviously in response to 3 (or more) separate pregnancies.

only aborted then parented with the same father and are still married 35 years later !!

I draw the line at partial birth abortions.

unless the woman's life is in danger.

The idea that most pro-lifers equate pro choice with pro abortion, which it is not, care more about an unborn fetus than they do about a child who is post natal, is the key to their hypocrisy.

Several ideas: Every child should be a 'wanted" and loved child and have a reasonable chance of success, the idea of using abortion as a form of birth control is one exaggerated by the religious, If men gave birth abortion would be a sacrament (I believe we would not be having this conversation) and, finally, LIFE (writ large is about All life not just human. What rules we apply to other life forms we should apply to ourselves. This is the same old anthropocentric mindset that continues to put us at the center and which will eventually cause our demise.
My late partner had had an abortion. No abortion is easy for a woman but she felt it had to be done because her relationship, at the time, would have caused harm to the child. At the same time she got herself 'fixed' so as not to be put in this situation again. I also had a long term partner who was alcoholic. She took great pains not to get pregnant and if so would have had an abortion because she did not want to take the chance of causing her sufferings on another (alcoholism ran in her family). Please, don't be so easily fooled into thinking 'women' use it as just another form of birth control. It often is a lot more complicated.

i would like to thank everyone who commented. I am concerned that the right to choice is going to be overturned with this Supreme Court. The pro life people seem so concerned about the fetus but ignore the child after birth. The present president has reduced so many programs to date that are designed to aide the children of poor families or those who are unable to meet the needs of their children and I find this to be criminal.The decision to have a child or abort is a very difficult one to make for any woman without having to be subject to legislation or the pro-choice individuals. The population is growing at rates that cannot be supported by this earth and this will result in wars for the basics which will consume more life's than responsible individuals using contraception and when necessary abortion. Let's face it men have it easy and should not be legislating what a woman should or should not do with their bodies. Besides the legislature i find religion to be another obstacle to choice .Neither should have a say in determining what a woman should do with their bodies!

For me, it's really very simple. If you don't believe in abortion, you should never be forced to have one. Beyond that, it is absolutely NONE of your business what any woman chooses to do with her own body, or what LEGAL medical procedures she chooses to avail herself of.
The unborn have never been guaranteed any "right to life" in the history of humanity. Nor should they. Women cannot be forced to be incubators, no matter what any segment of society might think. It doesn't matter what anyone's religious beliefs might be, they don't have any right to interfere either. It doesn't matter what anyone's political party's platform may be, they have no right to interfere either. Other than regulating safe operating procedures, as is done with all medical procedures, the government has no business legislating abortion issues. Period. If it's not your body, it's not your life, it's not your decision, and it's not your business. Nothing will ever make it your business either. No matter how badly you may want it to.

Your right on. The republicans protect prolife but then cut aide to children,cut healthcare and food delivery.They will even cut education as they have done in my town.

Well, the GOP are pretty hypocritical, aren't they? They preach Pro-life, but they really only care about controlling women, and "protecting" the unborn in-utero, Once they're born, the republicans could care less what happens to them. So, they aren't really pro-life at all. They're just pro-forced birth.

If it’s not your body, it’s not your fucking choice.

I am pro-life personally but agree people should have the right to their own body's..I am however against the fact the majority of abortions done are due to unwanted pregnancy and basically abortions are birth control for woman who obviously enjoy sex without safety..I do not think a woman should be using abortion as a form of birth control. Unfortunately HUMANITY is breeding ourselves into extinction...have you seen the newer generations? They are cattle gonna be led to slaughter..their ignorance astounds me.

You are so right. Just look at trump being elected! Abortion is not a form of birth control and any women using it as such are very stupid . However in the event of rape, incest, or the accidental pregnancy a woman should have the choice. The problem is evangelicals want to even prevent contraception or sex classes being taught in school which have reduced teen pregnancy's. To take a life is a serious decision but better than having a diseased child or one which would not be taken care of .

Hey! I'm one of the newer generations. I'm not really that ignorant...

i'm voting for the right to choose, but i don't agree with the wording. not everyone who gets an abortion is a woman. some men and nonbinary folks can get pregnant

I have to come down on the side of a woman's right to choose. I don't see that a fetus, especially one that is not yet independently viable has any so called rights yet.

I agree. The decision always should rest with the woman who usually gets stuck raising the child without help. Rape and incest there should not be any question!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2551
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.