Agnostic.com

12 4

I'm having a colorful exchange about gun control via fb. I expressed my concern for children and their welfare, not to mention the general public. I assured the other person of my lack or aggression towards them.

I was met with an image of their personal weapon.

I could use some intelligent, factual stats and responses to this situation.

Donotbelieve 9 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bona fide stat: Facebook chats with people who send weapons pics turn out well 0% of the time.

Something to consider -

[theoatmeal.com]

I find this illustrative, as far as perceptions from either side. In every occurrence, the first impulse is to which side of the political spectrum to lay blame. I found the claim (perception) that it's Democrats (i.e. minorities in the eyes of the Goopers) doing most the shooting rather startling.

[blog.dilbert.com]

Hello my fellow cook and food groupie. I've stop killing for my food because of my wife. She loves all animals. Although it's funny how we can catch fish and craps...lol. I see your concern about gun control and how it could save a child. A lot of adults don't think their children have a mental problem. They say they're just kids living a fantasy. Actually supply and demand of selling war games to kids helps support their mental problem. Gangster rap and them wanting to be bad boys add to it. If you look around you'll see that making drugs illegal isn't stopping good kids from trying it. Alcohol is still a right of passage for kids in school. I had a shotgun at 14 killing squirrels and rabbits for food as a child. I felt accomplished having brought home wild game for the supper table. I had a rifle at 18 in Vietnam. I suppose the cultural changes have helped with the adding of violence to mental children. Whats bad is the government knows this and hasn't set up any of the already knowing remedies to slow down these bad kids and adults from enetering shopping malls and schools. The government has a camera at every stop light and they have facial recognition. They can program computers to recognize guns and rifles and nonmembers of the schools. They can allow certain administration to carry guns in school to stop these crazy students. They came out with no child should be left behind. Those generally have the students that administration should focus on. This kid in Florida had these problems... it wasn't the gun... it was the government that let us down... They'll let you rant and rave about gun control to get the problem off their back... these are things we should all look at... kind of like religion and how they know damn well there's no god... but they're going to let you believe what you want...

@Donotbelieve. I guess I didn't understand your post and I apologize for that... I whole heartily agree with what you wrote. I definitely do not wish to see anyone hurt or killed from guns. I do have to admit that I will protect and serve...

My view is screen for violence, don’t make guns illegal, make domestic violence a flag to block gun purchase and have liability for citizens who’s guns are accessible to these blocked people (not stolen though.)

Rifles can do the same shit as ARs, also, shootings aren’t all done with ARs. It’s a false flag. I like logic driven arguments, but good luck finding that on either side.

Report it since they aren’t supposed to post guns.

This has some useful insight.

[stonekettle.com]

People on both sides of this topic are passionate about their views. I just started a group here called Gun Control Now you should join.

It's a difficult discussion, to be sure. My biggest concern is the trading liberty for safety argument. I'm all for keeping deadly weapons out of the hands of the unstable. Proper background checks seem like a no-brainer. One of the aspects of the 2nd Amendment that is often overlooked, imho, is that it ensured the most lethal firepower available at the time to its citizens. It is not about the right to hunt. I obey all the firearm statutes in my state, but am subject to being out of compliance with the stroke of a pen. As the police become more militarized, an armed citizenry is being treated like an afterthought. I will support sensible legislation and better enforcement of the laws already on the books. But it also occurs to me the same people who insisted that gun control is not gun confiscation, also call for an outright ban such as took place after Port Arthur, Australia and Dunblane, Scotland.

Good luck with your exchange. I find the people most strident about it are rightwing god-botherers. I've already seen them blame it on no prayer in schools and commie liberals (for their impact on societal norms). There's an incredible amount of anger on their part. If the shit hits the fan though, it would be open season on those who don't buy into their delusional worldview. And with the incompetence of government leadership and the possibility of their implosion, this scenario is not unthinkable.

"If you take the second amendment as a whole, (which the NRA and political Conservatives generally do not), it can be understood as enshrining the right, if not indeed the duty, of citizens to defend their country, and themselves, from aggression, including aggression from the government... The time might come when the people might have to muster against the state."

~ Christopher Hitchens

Most NRA people aren't worth talking to..

'America's unique gun violence problem, explained in 17 maps and charts. ' Vox.com

Someone responds to your "liberal" leanings with a photo of their weapon. At the least, they're an e-bully. Thats a threat, maybe empty, maybe loaded.

this hillbilly's sense says gun problems aint gonna get fixed by folks chatting at each other about it. probably a waste of time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25608
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.