Agnostic.com

5 0

LINK Rick Tyler Paints Mitt Romney As 'Trump's Ideological Twin' | Crooks and Liars

The scariest post I've seen in a while and that's saying something. As a lifelong observer of LDS hypocrisy, I am truly frightened of Romney anywhere near political power. If there were ever anyone who could aspire to being 'tRump 2.0'...

From the post:
You're right about one thing, Rick -- Romney is a man of "great character" -- but only if you define character as flaming hypocrisy. Remember Bain Capital and how Romney made his wealth?

We already know the Villagers love him and that their institutional memories extend back only to the last commercial break. But Romney's Bain Capital bought companies, stripped them of their assets, and then burned them to the ground.

RichCC 8 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is the man who sucked up to Trump a scant 2 years ago in an effort to be his Secretary of State.

Now he's just trying to reboot himself as the civil and dignified alternative to Trump's crassness. Mr "corporations are people too" and Mr 47% won't be any better for the county, although one can kinda-sorta argue that he wouldn't be as immediately and overtly BAD. The problem and the irony is it's guys like Romney who actually made Trump possible.

If possible, Romney is even a worse human being than rump.

A Rich but normal-ish well-spoken wannabe do-gooder, compared to Cheeto? Really?
Welcome back from Pluto, you fool!

At least I'm back.
Do you understand how he made his 100s of millions?
Hint--it has to do with screwing over what his ilk consider 'little people'.

@callmedubious I never said I liked him, or would vote for him, but compared to Cheeto a fabulous find! In fact, drunken newts looking good!

Romney is positioning himself with his NYT editorial this morning as the civil, dignified alternative to Trump. He assumes people will forget his "47%" remark, and his "corporations are people, too" remark, and will somehow transmute his tone-deaf, ham-fisted conservatism into dignity and rectitude. Oh, and maybe they'll forget that he seriously sought to be Trump's Secretary of State at one point.

I see him as an example of how low Trump has set the bar. However, I don't see us as a society suddenly going so far as to see Romney as even "woke Romney", much less some sort of positive alternative to Trumpism. Indeed, it is so-called "principled conservatism" that gave us Trumpism. American conservatism, personified by the GOP, has for at least 3 generations been an inherently proto-fascist enterprise with a narrow base of plutocrats. Trump has merely ripped the mask off of it, by demonstrating how pliable alleged conservative "principles" can be in the service of holding onto power. The fact that the GOP has utterly failed to stand up to Trump and in fact has supported him, tells us all we need to know in that regard.

I'm afraid of the idea that tribal Republicans could take an any-port-in-storm attitude. 'We can't support a liberal Democrat. We'd better pick a businessman -- even if he is a demonstrated venture capitalist.'

A saying I've heard is that 'Conservatives don't care if the world burns to the ground as long as they're in charge of the ashes'. I wish it didn't seem to ring truer all the time.

@RichCC Yeah sometimes literally. I hear a lot of wealthy folks are building bunkers in New Zealand, it's a regular cottage industry down there.

@mordant ,
Some own huge ranches in Patagonia which they'll be able to defend with their own armies.

I've always had respect for Romney as a person although I was opposed to much of his politics. I didn't know the details of Bain Capital, though.

godef Level 7 Jan 2, 2019

Here are some (admitally hyperbolic) articles on Mittens finances and implications on his morals.

Vanity Fair -- 2012
[vanityfair.com]

New York Post -- 2011
[nypost.com]

RollingStone -- 2012
[rollingstone.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:257293
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.