Agnostic.com

6 8

QUESTION An Ex-Muslim Describes Her Escape from Islam in This Powerful Speech – Friendly Atheist

An anonymous ex-Muslim blogger who writes at The Nullifidian spoke over the weekend at “Losing Your Religion,” a conference sponsored by the Secular Party of Australia.
She posted a transcript of the speech online and it’s some powerful stuff:

When I hit my early teens my mother removed me from school because she did not deem the school environment as an Islamic one and it was time for me to learn how to be the perfect Muslim wife and mother. At thirteen she “encouraged” me to put on the niqab which I wore until the night I left home.

I hate the niqab. It is one of the most dehumanising and alienating pieces of clothing a woman can wear. It puts a literal barrier between her and the rest of the world. I would beg my mother to let me remove it but she would refuse saying that I was a disappointing her or be cruel and say I would look like a sharmoota or whore.
It took several years after she ran away from home when she discovered there were other ex-Muslims out there:

Five years after I had left home I came across a news article that was about ExMuslims. I was instantly curious. I knew that people left Islam, I knew what they were called in arabic but I had no idea there was another word for what I was. I jumped online and typed ExMuslim into google and straightaway I discovered the world of ExMuslims. Reading about their experiences, I instantly felt this deep connection with people I had never met because there was one thing that united us, we were all apostates from islam.

The entire story shows you the power of apostates who have the courage to speak out — even anonymously. It makes a difference. And even if you think others have covered it all before, it’s always brand new and mind-blowing for people who didn’t realize like-minded people existed.

Read Speech Here > [thenullifidian.wordpress.com]

Dougy 7 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is an incredible essay. That apostasy remains a capital offense in many predominately Muslim countries in the 21st Century is difficult to wrap one's head around. What courage it must take! And my compliments on the name choice.

I find it very difficult to imagine a community that I have more respect for than the ex muslim community. There might be communities I have just as much respect for, but more respect, no

I'm ex-christian (or just atheist/non-religious) but this is fascinating. I remember that there was a women's and girls only afternoon each week at the pool though... So many women who weren't swimming otherwise would come out during that period because they didn't need to be covered so drastically in front of other women.

Thank you for this post Douglass. Being a big fan of yours I continue to learn conclude ideas and constantly be amazed that in current year, when Islam isn’t yet regarded as the biggest lie, riddled with deception, proven time and time to be complete dehumanising garbage. And for some baffling reason given credence. Is loved more by SJWs than legal genuine tax paying American citizens. Which try to deny are the backbone iof America is to deny veins take blood away from the heart.

Atheist Republic has been my greatest educator on the subject of Islam .

The Islamic idiots are even more dangerous than the Christain’s. Hell they often want to kill you for not believing like they do. I bet it’s extremely hard and very dangerous to break away from those idiots.

Times when you need a thumbs down!

@William_Mary you can do that here , by putting a capitol "N" , in parentheses ( ) 👎

When my family returned to Australia, I had begun to have serious doubts about Islam as a way of life. On one hand, I was being told that Islam gave women all these rights but on the other, I was being deprived my rights. I read through all of the Islamic texts I could get my hands on The Quran, Tafsir ibn Kathir, Bulugh Al Maram, Sahih Bukhari and Muslim, Riyadh us Saliheen. I began to study Aqeedah (Islamic Creed) and Fiqh ( Islamic Jurisprudence) to find ways around my parents’ control. But all I could find were justifications. As a daughter I had no power. I was my parent’s property until I was my husband’s.

I never had this deep connection to Islam or this fear of Allah. I just obeyed my parents and acted the good Muslimah out of fear of them and their fists. I thought my only way out of this environment was to get married.

So I was going to find the most nonpracticing Muslim guy out there. Now they do exist but none were lining up to marry the fifteen year old niqabi daughter of the local sheikh.

I had almost given up until tragedy struck my family. A terrible accident resulted in the death of my youngest sister and I remember holding her body and realising how easily life could be over. Then and there I made a promise that I was not going to give up, that I was going to be free.

Fast forward a few years and my relationship with my family had become very fractured. I still wore the niqab, prayed and did everything they wanted but I would fight them on the smallest things like going to the library or visiting friends. Finally at 19 after one particularly brutal encounter with my parents, as I lay cowering on the floor I realised I had had enough. This fight was going to be the last because I was so tired of the fighting, the struggle to constantly hide what I was thinking and feeling, who I really was. I pulled every last bit of courage I had left in me and I ran out of the door in front of them.

I had no idea where I was going, how I was going to survive or where I was going to even sleep that night but in those moments I didn’t care. I had survived everything life had thrown at me, I was going to survive this.

And I did.

Read the rest @ [thenullifidian.wordpress.com]

Dougy Level 7 Feb 17, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25743
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.