Agnostic.com

12 2

Was there a certain event that changed you from believer to non believer?

Just_Me81 4 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh, definitely. My daughter and I were stretched out on the hood of my car looking thru binoculars we got from Burger King. She kept asking questions, when she asked me how far is the furthest star, I told her I didn't know, but I would find out.
That's when the term light year became obvious to me, and recently reading on how the bibles generations could be traced about 6k yes...that's when I couldn't reconcile light taking millions of years to arrive and the bibles genealogical timeline. Had to trust science because it was demonstrable. Then... I read feverishly about science vs religion.

Hutch Level 7 Mar 18, 2018

Yes and I remember it vividly. I was ten years old and realized all dads didn't beat moms. Then I decided that people believed in god because they needed something to believe in . After many subsequent years doing my own searching, I came back to the same conclusion.

No.

Many things.
One I study history. So thing that the bible say happen do not work with written history.
why is it a we discovered new land and people their history, where life start very to much.
Fact that during events of great destruction some civilization show no sings and disruption.

Observing the results of prayer. The affirmative answers vs. the times when "God says no". After many years, I had to conclude that the results were pretty much indistinguishable from random chance.

Masturbation?

Not an event per se, but rather a gradual process of edging out silly beliefs with rational ones. Took years.

The news that Santa was not real it collapsed my entire belief system.

@Just_Me81 Sorry, you are now broken.

@Just_Me81 I just have to be careful, as I am Canadian, and apologizing is the national pass time

Sunday school when I was 4

For me it was a long journey. Reading, learning, thinking things over and talking to some educated friends. Took me about 10 years. Not a single event, but lots of things I learned.

Oh Yes. Sitting in church and having murderer being absolved off his sins because he accepted the holy spirit. Yet, the previous week the sermon was about how being Gay was an abomination, and unless rejected, you were going to Hell.
That was the end and I was outta there.

Jekka Level 3 Feb 18, 2018

The first time I realised what a sham religion was, was sitting in church on Sunday, when I was about five years old, and hearing the priest announce the total of the previous week's collection, and then saying; " this is not good enough". A couple of weeks later, the same measly piece of self righteous shit, decided to have a nice holiday to Rome, and we children were ordered by our teachers to bring in money to pay for this creep' s holiday. I came from a working class neighbourhood, and this was in 1962. That was my awakening. As I got older, I watched the news about children dying when a mountain of coal buried their school, the moors murderers, Biafra, Bangladesh, and realised that their was no god, because no loving deity would allow atrocities to happen. Randy Newman sums it up perfectly in The God Song.

Just one, having to go to church. Don't have a single stand out one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25803
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.