Agnostic.com

6 4

LINK The Psychology Of Materialism, And Why It's Making You Unhappy | HuffPost Life

Materialism in our society and how it affects our well-being

AlasBabylon 8 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't own much, but as long as my needs are met, I don't think too much about material things. I like my TV, stereo and computer. It would be nice to have more money and a few more things, but I am not unhappy with my situation. Back in my days of living close to poverty, life was hard. Substandard housing, cheap unhealthy food, clothing bought at secondhand stores, living on a strict budget. But the hardest thing about being poor was the ridicule, insults and ostracism from better off people. I worked at jobs with people who treated me with hostility for wearing cheap clothes and living in a high crime neighborhood, got called "white trash."

SKH78 Level 8 Jan 4, 2019

It seems that so many people are stupid, or hateful, or don't care if they hurt others. I think that when it comes to a person's qualities as a human being, you stand head and shoulders over all of those who put you down.

I, too, am basically pretty satisfied with having my needs met. At least, I always have been. I never have felt any need or strong desire to have a lot of fancy or expensive material things. I do, however, love my computer, my music chess sets,and some of my books. I consider myself fortunate for the friends and family I've had in my life.

Anyone affected by materialism, I am willing to help your well being. I'll take your car, furniture, electronics and computers at no cost, so you can be happy !!!! Or you can send all your stuff to Goodwill ????

There's something to be said to live a humble life.

You know what cures most rational people of materialism?

Homelessness.

I like Marx's explaination. Materialism (as used here) conflates social values (the values between people) with economic values to the point that the value of economic success is considered a highly desirable social value. Marx calls it commodity fetishism, an apt term.

cava Level 7 Jan 4, 2019

There is of course one irony here, which is that the big spenders tend to make things cheaper to buy, and that helps those who are happy on low incomes afford the few things they do need more easily.

Only to a point though. It doesn't take long for prices to become artificially inflated.

@KKGator Yes that is true.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:258297
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.