Agnostic.com

4 1

Ghost stories: how much of it is our imagination?

[Long post, sorry.]

I have a friend who likes to live on the edge & has a number of ghost stories. He's a balance of open mindedness & scientific logic - this guy basically has no fears because he actively confronts them since he doesn't think it's rational to keep them. Rafe isn't one to lie or exaggerate either, so it's hard for me to know what to do with some of the information he gives. I have some loose theories that might be interesting to discuss.

There's a graveyard Rafe & his friends like to visit late at night. There have been rumors of ghosts in white frequenting the area, & they happened to see one. As the story was told to me, they use headlamps that let you create a shadow by pointing so you can show things to one another. Out of the six people there two could see her clearly, two could sort of see her, & two didn't see her at all. It wasn't until someone pointed her out that the dress flared out from behind the tombstone & the whole group could see the apparition. Theoretically you could argue some may have different kinds of receptors or processing centers to perceive such apparitions.

Another time Rafe & a few others had another encounter while at the same graveyard. Basically they 'ran' past & there was a gust of wind that could be felt. So one could argue there is some kind of energy - though how it manifests & so forth naturally is unclear.

I know people are going to want to dismiss this, but I think it's something worth exploring. Of course this is coming second hand, but objectively speaking he's a fairly reliable source (in my opinion which probably means nothing to you guys as well). Obviously there is something more to some of these types of stories, sort of like how some acupuncturists work & others don't when you look at the literature. Unless you are assuming these are all sensory hallucinations. Which seems unlikely though in some cases it may be an apt explanation. Understanding what makes the groups different I think is much more difficult.

Decieven 7 Oct 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Within the framework of being as reasonable and rational an atheist as I can, my answer would be that it is 99.9999999999...9% imagination. Since the supernatural cannot be proved or disproved, we always leave that sliver of a possibility, but in practical terms, 100% is more like it.

Put another way, if you don't believe in leprechauns, fairies, Santa, or god(s), why in hell would you believe in ghosts?

I am open to all possibilities until someone or science proves something to be not.

SamL Level 7 Nov 2, 2017

I used to believe I had seen ghosts earlier in my life. The other day I happened to notice something. I noticed ever since I became an atheist and skeptic, I HAVE NOT experienced any supernatural phenomena. Of course now I’m skeptic not just of a God but anything outside the natural world. Seems very interesting that when I believed in religion I also believed in ghosts and seemed to have perceived them. Like Richard Dawkins said, the mind is susceptible to hallucinations.

First thing I have to ask is if it's possible there were any mind-altering drugs or alcohol involved with their visits?
If so, that could explain a lot.

Second; way back in the day, a friend of mine worked as an overnight caretaker at a cemetery. Sometimes I and a few of my other friends would go there at night and hang out with him.
When we went we always brought along some kind of mind-altering drug or alcohol, or both.

We never saw anything that could be considered a ghost or supernatural force.

@Decieven I've either forgotten the best stories, or I'm too ashamed to tell them. 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2593
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.