Agnostic.com

3 1

I would consider myself to be very liberal when it comes to viewing government.Unfortunately it was a very liberal government that decided a person's rights were being infringed upon when they were committed to work farms .Many of these people had mental problems but were not a danger to anyone. The state provided a home,food, medical treatment, gave them a purpose and kept them off the streets begging for food and out of danger. I personally would like to see these farms be reintroduced as a method of providing for our homeless individuals. At least this would restore some of their dignity. Everyone is entitled to have shelter,food and medical attention regardless of their ability to provide it for themselves.They should not be treated as animals and forced to live as such! Many of these people exist as a result of serving our government in wars they took part in. They should be taking care of as a result.

Marine 8 Oct 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't recognize the history of what you are talking about. Could you give us a link or explain.

gearl Level 8 Oct 31, 2017

I lived in Ohio and they had established farms during the WPA era to house people who were homeless and otherwise living on the street. They paid a very small salary to those who worked the farms which supplied their food needs plus shelter and medical attention. Many were 2nd world war vets returning from war and then as now our government did not do well with these vets and other homeless.It was a good program but Dems thought that it demeaned the residents and the program was scraped after running for some 25 years.As a result we now see people living under bridges etc.

BobHKniola
I'm was born in Ohio but never knew or heard of that program. Thanks.

Some of those people actually choose to live that way. I agree though it would be a positive thing to offer to homeless people the choice to work on a farm as I understand growing things can be very therapeutic.

SamL Level 7 Oct 31, 2017

It was a very good program. It gave them shelter,food and medical attention plus they were clean and healthy. The farm helped many mentally as they worked by themselves many with animals which helped a lot.They were paid a very small salary. Many alcoholics and drug users were saved. Many were 2nd world war vets. Our government does not provide well for those who gave so much .Some did not come to the farm but many many did.

Amen (see what I did there) amen brother.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2600
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.