Agnostic.com

2 4

LINK Why the World Looks the Same in Any Language - YouTube

It is commonly thought that a language's grammar and vocabulary make its speakers more aware of some concepts and feelings than others, such that a language's structure is indexed to psychology and culture. However, experiments have proven this only to a very quiet degree. Overall, the idea that how a language works reflects how its speakers think is more dangerous than often supposed, working against the very egalitarianism that the idea seems to foster. Linguist John McWhorter will demonstrate this by approaching the "Language as Thought" hypothesis from the point of view of languages around the world.

Matias 8 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love McWhorter! Thank you!

I first read about his work while I was in New Orleans...the creole language is fascinating! Do you have a favorite book or video? I need some things to do while I recover from a surgery.

@thinktwice i just have a sample CD from the Great Courses

Thank you for this post...it is one of the most intriguing one I have seen this week...

@mitch07102 (now this is heady stuff...not sure if the nuances of language is your thing but I was fascinated by this...I know what I will be doing while I recover...ha ha )

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:260934
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.