Agnostic.com

12 2

Women and Misogyny

Why do so many women feel jealous about the successes of other women, and are the first to criticize someone in their gender, and even take a sexist stance toward equality between the sexes? Why don't we support each other the way men support other men?

LoveThyDog 6 Oct 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't understand it, and I sure don't understand how a woman could follow one of the abrahamic religions, with the way they degrade women.

I agree with you and the women in Sweden would say that the USA women were brainwashed by religion!

Religion was not in the original post. How would you justify religion being the reason why women are not supportive of each other? In the "locker room" such women are described as catty or bitches. Personal qualities rather than those derived from religion.

My opinion is that many women are in competition with other women and it starts early at as early as junior high school. As an example I have notice that women don't dress up for men they dress up for other women.

What about it ? It aint fucking right. Next question. Hope all your questions are that easy. I am not saying your easy. Neither am I. but I can be had for cheap, well I am not cheap either. What I trying to say is I like to have fun and nobody gets compromised!

I’m not sure I perceive a difference between the sexes in this regard. In my experience either sex seems to have equal and varied capacities for envy/jealousy and are quite likely to support or criticise each other. I think if I’m honest with myself I tend to be more demanding of a male friend whereas my natural instincts seem to give females more leeway. I guess this must be a bit sexist in itself but I’m not going to kid myself about my sexuality.

mjpwl Level 3 Nov 1, 2017

The whole point here is to be honest, and so I think your response is shared by many men. I also see women tend to reach out, and cut more slack for men- it has a lot to do with sexuality.

I can't say it's jealousy or what you would call it, but a female family member has a consistent dislike of dealing with other females in service positions in retail and front counter positions.

I have not researched this, but I have seen it happen. I'm speculating here but could it be a leftover function of female social evolution, where the hierarchal advancement of one female meant the other women would be left behind or devalued?

The generally limited amount of women in these positions makes them see each other as competition and since men are the majority treating them like shit is risky.

There's no one answer here. My experience has shown me that when anyone feels the need to put others down for their successes or good fortune, it is the person doing the put down who has insecurities or inner turmoil that causes them to strike out. Women or Men ...

" it just seems to me that men look past the faults of other men more so than women do w/other women."
I find that men gravitate to men who think like they do or they politely distance themselves so as not to deal with them. One never knows who might wind up being a boss or customer so men, taught to be more concerned with business, are more careful. If we do have a fight it's explosive and physical. We then accept the results of strength's test (as if power proves something) and our limitations.
Seems to me that women are far more competitive than men, too. They seem to take perfection and involvement almost as a mission. I think they're focus on vanity is part of that competition. Women seem to me much more self-focused (not selfish but self-centered) than men and desirability is their main weapon. Men are unfocused and will often ally with a strong woman's (mother figure) ambition. We'll either ride your social coattails or use you to sell ourselves. Both need a desirable aspect so that's the draw. Women know it. Since competition doesn't carry the decisiveness of a physical match (there's always a "wait for later" aspect) it's also never far from a woman's radar. Advantage/Defeat may lie in every moment.
Incidentally, I also find that a domineering mother is often common among feminine gays. Makes me wonder if those very young boys don't notice that real strength lies with the feminine and gravitate toward that.
Anyway, that's my two cents. It's a great question and I'm pleased a woman asked it.

Great answer- I agree that we are definitely more focused on our appearance because we have to be- unattractive and/or aging women are simply not as accepted or given as much attention when it comes to getting ahead. We more easily look past men's physical deficiencies, and so that's not as big of a factor when it comes to success as it is for women. Interesting hypothesis about feminine gays who see strength in the mom.

I was a teacher and at one school, all of the administration were women. I had no problem with that. In fact, my first year there, I thought a assistant principal was going to be transferred and I was thinking about putting in for a transfer to her new school. But, it turned out that they were horrible with infighting, sabotage, and with having an attitude that we are women in charge and we are going to be shitty bosses. It was the first time I had experienced that. Everywhere else I worked, the administration was both sexes and some of my favorite bosses were women. I did find, by listening and observing, many women did try to cut each other down. I think they are as much victims of the culture as are men.

Yes, we are victims of a culture that insists on treating men and women differently, and it constantly backfires. For instance, if a man is deemed 'soft' he is seen as weak, while women who are viewed as 'tough' or 'no-nonsense' are often seen as witches, bitches and prudes. When we follow the social constructs, we all gain more acceptance, but most of us don't live in that tight little box. It's tougher to rage against these constricting roles because many of our reactions to both men and women are subconscious, and we often don't realize that we're using sexism as a weapon.

Great question but I am not qualified to answer it. You should have left off the last sentence.

gearl Level 8 Oct 31, 2017

Why? I don't leave ideas out simply because they're controversial. You don't have to be a woman to form an opinion about the ways we interact w/each other.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2610
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.