Agnostic.com

4 1

LINK Lucius Cornelius Sulla

"Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi."

"No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full".

Epitaph, which Lucius Cornelius Sulla composed himself, inscribed on his tomb.

THHA 7 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The link to Sulla didn't work. Strong epitaph.

cava Level 7 Jan 9, 2019

This one will, and it is an interesting read . . . [en.wikipedia.org]

I can see how some might be impressed by that. All it says to me is that he remained boastful to the end ?

No one knows what was going thru his mind . . . . it is a matter of interpretation.

@THHA which is exactly what i did, and took ownership of my interpretation, and even allowed for others ?

Well, let's hope it is not psychological projection, ha ha.

@THHA well, 'let's' means 'let us'. Perhaps you should follow my example and take ownership and allow for other interpretations lol ?

I certainly have not dis-allowed any.

He was either very careful and very clever, or he was suffering from the Dunning Kruger effect.

Likely a combination, he was definitely very clever, I don't think he ever lost a battle, as far as I recall.

@THHA That is true, but more than that, I meant that you would have to be a supper human geniius to, either know or list all your friends and enemies, or to have any idea all the things they had done for or against you.

Well, that is simply a matter of how strictly one interprets what he said.

@THHA Yes I was taking him very literaly, which is a little unfair to him, since I am sure that what he meant was that he had tried to lead a fair and ballanced life. Yet in part the reasoning was that it does point out an interesting way in which Roman culture differed from ours, since of course it would not be possible for someone to say something like that today without raising sniggers.

Interesting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:261573
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.