Agnostic.com

7 13

When I was a child I asked my dad what a Slut was

He told me it was just another word people used to make themselves look better than other people.

It's probably one of the best things anyone told me. I've thought about it regularly throughout my life and it can be applied to almost any negative word people say about each other.

MsAl 8 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well stated . Slut was originally meant to critisize women who were sexually free . Over time the definition of words change . It is now used to denigrate a woman who refuses to have sex with a man .

No, it still means a woman with many casual sexual partners. Being called a slut is just a nasty (but impotent) insult for a woman who won't engage in sex, as in, "well, no great loss, you're just a slut anyway". Or, "I've got nothing to lose, and I want to make you pay for the grave offense of not finding me lust-inducing, so I'll tell everyone you sleep around". It is a pretty teenage juvenile level of insult; I haven't personally ever heard it used by anyone past the age of 25, either for that or any other reason.

@mordant Nice , we agree .

Clever answers to children's questions #477:

"Dad ... what's a rack?"

"It's a country!"

Your dad was a wise man and if he still is alive he still is wise.

That is an interesting take on why folks use the word. I agree. Wonder if the same applies to "horn dog" or other terms used for males who seek sexual encounters indiscriminately.

My dad never used the term slut, as I believe he highly regarded those who share their sexuality without boundaries. He did however use the word "prude" for me and other family members and co-workers who rejected his advances.

Funny thing, those he disdainfully called prude seemed to me to describe a lady or gentleman. Gentleman isn't a term that comes to mind in describing my dad.

Glad to hear you were more adult , than he ever was .

There was an early issue with Amazon and the city when Amazon helped install a light rail line. It was to be called the South Lake Union Trolly. Amazing how people can be so fixed on something and not see the obvious. That name did not go but now one can buy a T-shirt

Your dad may not have been perfect, but that is a true pearl of wisdom.

Good job he did do the usual thing and say ask you mum, he would have been in the dog house for weeks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:261760
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.