Agnostic.com

4 4

Hey All,
I wanted to share a book recommendation. I read "When God Was a Woman" by Merlin Stone on my recent trip and I really enjoyed it.
I don't believe in Tiamat or Ishtar any more than a Yahweh, but I was very interested in the period of social upheaval the book covers, particularly as it related to the diminished status of women and the imposition of patriarchal attitudes that demean and dehumanize us.
The book makes a strong case that Northern invaders and Hebrews brought their misogynistic ways with them to the formerly more egalitarian south, as evidenced by the religious/social structure found in pre-exposure societies. It all came down to owning the means of the most important form of creation, human life- and the desperate need to apply a patriarchal system that ensured paternity.

Book: Five Stars
Manocentric Manocracy: -1000 Stars (and falling)

The book will only take a few hours of your time, maybe it would help some of us better understand our aversion to religion, maybe it will be of some archaeological and ancient history interest. Give it a try.

ErebusVincent 6 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some of the same attitude shifts prefaced the European witch hunts. I took a really interesting class on it a few years ago. Sounds like a great book.

That's sounds interesting I'll check it out, thanks.

Interesting - adding a you tube I just watched. Ancient religion actually makes more sense than modern.

Source:
jeffy Level 7 Feb 19, 2018

Provocative title for this website, you could say god was gay, however, not read the book, so appreciate your comment. p.s. girlfriend confirms your assertion

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26492
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.