Agnostic.com

2 3

6 Reasons Christians Are Not Required to Tithe

1. Believers are no longer under the Mosaic covenant 
  2. The examples of Abraham and Jacob are not normative patterns.
  3. Tithes were given to the Levites and priests, but there are no Levites and priests in the new covenant. 
  4. The tithe is tied to the land Israel received under the old covenant. 
  5. When Jesus affirmed the tithe, it was before the dawn of the new covenant.
  6. Nowhere is tithing mentioned when commands to give generously are found in the New Testament. 

So tithing is the 'protection racket' and scamming of the faithful that we have always known it to be. Another more amusing point given by Christians in response to a number of articles like this saying there is no biblical reason to tithe, is that tithing is the BARE MINIMUM people should be giving and they should be 'giving generously' so 20% or even up to 80% of their income. Amazing how this message has been twisted to enrich the few at the expense on the many.

Hugene2002 7 Nov 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All religions are businesses. So why any of their money making schemes are of any interest to atheists is beyond me.

I suspect certain ministries are awash in cash that flows below the radar of any regulatory authority and, certainly, out of sight of the IRS. I have known devoutly religious people who tithed "religiously" but whose kids went without the money they needed to participate in extracurricular activities and who know what else. There is no way that televangelists living in multi-million dollar mega mansions do not co-mingle their personal fortunes with the operating costs of their "churches." I'm sure there is plenty of imaginative bookkeeping that goes on. And the same goes for those socialite churches that exist in many affluent communities. I remember as a kid attending a Presbyterian church in the wealthy enclave of Montecito near Santa Barbara where the minister was especially proud of his extensive collection of antique automobiles and had somehow managed to engineer his continuous stay in a church that usually rotated ministers through various congregations every few years. If you take a sailboat offshore of Waikiki in Honolulu you can see a large catholic church dominating the skyline. What many people don't know is that church also owns a great deal of extremely valuable commercial property around it collecting rents that I assume are tax-free income as well. These outfits are not only operating what you call protection rackets but extortion rackets as well. My now-deceased partner was raised as a Roman catholic but his parents were excommunicated for not underwriting the coal required to heat the church in their local parish one winter. It is outrageous that these organizations are not subject to the taxes all other entities pay to fund the infrastructure of which they take full advantage and the military they so passionately embrace that protect their freedom to run amok through secular society. The argument of separation of church and state would hold water if the churches recognized it. But they use their tax free income to lobby for their versions of sharia law, even underwriting homophobic ballot measures and using their pulpits to sway their congregations to cast their votes as the church recommends. On the day every public building has been relieved of any reference to a deity and the church agrees to disentangle itself from its grip on secular society I would say give them their tax free status. But hand them a bill for taxes owed 200 years in arrears.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2659
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.