Agnostic.com

5 4

Ok people, OK Go! If you haven't watched at least a dozen music videos by the band "OK Go" in your lifetime, then you probably will within the next week. I am about to whet your appetite for the best music videos since the 1980s with one that is undoubtably among the VERY best music videos of ALL TIME--the Rube Goldberg machine video for their song "This Too Shall Pass."

Now, it's astonishing that they got all this crap to go down properly in a single take in the first place--and believe me, that's amazing enough right there. That already puts it among the all-time greats. But what is absolutely magical is the impeccable TIMING of it all.

Right off the bat, these ball bearings are rolling down furrows in an inclined board to collide with other ball bearings, and all the little collisions are happening in exact time with the syncopated beat of the song!

And then about 1:20 in, the soundtrack stops and the song is carried on by spoons dangling from a rotating guitar and hitting glasses of water--all perfectly timed to the point that the soundtrack dropped out!

I guess they must be subtly changing the speed of the playback, to make the timing work out so perfectly like that, but if that's what they're doing, it's really not noticeable at all. And if they're NOT doing that, then I dunno, I guess magic is real or something.

AxeElf 7 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is fuckin cool. Thanks for sharing!!

I like the video,
I especially like their thanking State Farm Insurance for making the video possible

"Cause if your mind don't move and your knees don't bend
Well don't go blamin' the kids again"

Determinism's power (your mind don't move and your knees don't bend) over chance (kids dancin) even if it were 68 takes.

cava Level 7 Feb 21, 2018

By far the best OK Go video ever! I will never forget their first one with the treadmills back in 2009. If this new one was all done in one take, I would be amazed, but regardless, this is a band that loves to have fun with physics! Thank you!
BTW, may I assume you've seen the Wintergatan Marble Machine video? Not exactly Rube Goldberg, but enjoyable, nevertheless!

Thank you

It's so hot that you used "whet" instead of "wet."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26624
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.