Agnostic.com

6 0

Ok, here is something about the whole Virgin Birth narrative in Christianity.

Maybe because I am too much a cynic about human nature, but the whole thing sounds like a teen pregnancy and a cover story to avoid responsibility.

If a young woman is fertile and ovulating, you don't always have to have actual penetration to get pregnant. Get a little bit of that magic juice on your lady parts and a few of those swimmers might just make it all the way, if there is any passage through the hymen, they might just find it.

Very active young women also can often tear the hymen, so there is that as well.

This is often the case when I read the bible, it just sounds like some person wanting power over others or attempting to further some agenda, instead of actual holy writings.

Instead of seeing the hand of God, I cannot help but see the hands of men, and a lot of men at that. Greedy ones, delusional ones, ignorant ones....

Anyone else feel like this when reading the Bible?

arnies 7 Feb 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course, that's why I am an atheist.
Your suggestions for possible reasons that the story of the virgin birth came about is missing on gigantic possibility: somebody lied. I 've seen a joke along the lines of if Mary was really a virgin, why did three men show up with gifts.
I am a firm believer in Occham's razor.

JimG Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

The virgin birth was hardly a new idea, it is symbolic, and you are not reading the Bible, but a translation of it, by some religious guy, usually. Reading from the lexicon is a whole different dog. God hates religion, and this is verified in many passages

Fair play to ya but why do you read the bible? Life's short 🙂

The Virgin Birth was not the birth of Jesus, it was the birth of Mary, who was born without the taint of original sin, so she could be pure enough to carry the child of God.

From what I have learned this idea was one that used misinterpretation or even a cover-up to promote an idea of a miracle. It was said the original idea was that a virgin will get married and give birth. The get married part was eliminated and we all know how that ended up. My question is what kind of fool was Joseph? He was not privy to the angel whisperer and his wife became pregnant and the marriage had not even been consummated yet (does that nullify the marriage, should she then be stoned?). I find it incredulous that so many fall for this nonsense. Unfortunately, those of us growing up, Christian did so ourselves until some angel whispered in our ears?!

The idea of a virgin birth was a common one and the Christians only took another page from the book of mysticism's'.

Mary was a bit of a tart and told a lie to stop her being thrown off of a multi-story carpark and everyone believed her.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26637
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.