Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK How the Idea of Hell Has Shaped the Way We Think | The New Yorker

Just one of the many things wrong with religion.

Tomfoolery33 9 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The concept of heaven and hell is explained clearly in Bart Erhmans "Triump of Christianity"

Heaven for the weather, hell for the company.

When I was a child we moved every few years and usually went to the nearest Protestant church. So I was exposed to churches of various flavors: Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregationalist. The first two talked about hell -- the third didn't. By the age of about ten I had already decided that there couldn't be a god because of the concept of hell -- I have never thought of myself as capable of sentencing anyone to the kinds of horrors that were described as existing in hell. And, I figured that if I, a definitely flawed human being couldn't there was only one explanation: god must not be the 'all loving' figure he'd been described as being. Because I believed that any being that could send people to eternal damnation must be deeply flawed -- even more flawed than me. So logically, in my mind neither hell nor god could exist.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:266662
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.