Agnostic.com

3 0

LINK FL Democrat Introduces Bill Requiring Public High Schools to Offer Bible Classes | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

FTA: Kirk Bailey, political director of the ACLU of Florida, says that his group is watching this bill.

“There are acceptable ways to teach about the Bible: schools can teach comparative religion classes or about the Bible’s relationship to literature, art or music. However, it is exceedingly difficult to do so in a constitutionally permissible manner,” Bailey said.

“Ultimately, parents, not the government, should be in charge of religious education. To ensure one faith is not promoted over another in our public schools and to protect our students’ First Amendment rights, we’ll continue to monitor this bill to see how it progresses during this legislative session,” Bailey added.

zblaze 7 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Florida is narrow-minded indeed. How could Christians cope if other religious books were also required reading in such a class? No, they would protest.

I see this as an attempt to proselytize at taxpayer's expense. Of course the , as worded, is unconstitutional.

How about teaching something useful instead? Additional math, sciences or philosophy?

zesty Level 7 Jan 20, 2019

How about a course in Fallacies and Logic? That was enormosly useful to me.

I was already a disbeliever when Ii took two semesters of the History of Religions. ( In the German school system) My father encouraged it because according to his understanding, it would be difficult to study World History without also studying religions. These were elective courses in 10th grade. The material and requirements were quite rigorous, but I did not regret taking the courses.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:267173
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.