Agnostic.com

6 1

Brave? Heroic?

How can an entire country consider their military members to be brave, or heroic. I was once a member of the military, gave 6 years to the machine, but even I can realize that there is nothing brave or heroic about killing poor people in far away lands. Now, a worthy adversary like China, or Russia, now facing that down... that might take a bit of courage.

SoullessHeathen 5 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How is killing other human beings ever heroic? Most of the men who ask you to fight for your country are corrupt, most of the reasons are at root financial or religious. I don’t think war ever has any glory or heroism attached to it.

I became a conscientious objector when I was asked to do national service back in the day, and the more I look back on that decision, the more I become convinced that it was the right choice.

Which part of Russia or China, specifically is the enemy that would be worth fighting? It seems to me that that all battles or wars, at some point, end up falling into your description of killing poor people in far away lands.

I share you skepticism, as our military machine seems to be more about making money than fighting for our survival. Books by such as Col. Hackworth "About Face", Bracewitch "Washington Rules", Sheehan "A Bight and hing Lie", and Weivtrab "15 Stars" bears this out. I have never served in the military, but have read its history and known many vetrans. It inculcates values that benefit society, but needs to be refocussed. I know of no veterans who saw any glory in what they did. The glory is seen mostly by middl-aged gys who couldn't manage a wet dream.
Despite my cynicism, I think there are reaons to have a self-defense force to protect our business and cultural strengths, but it has become and end into itself.

I agree. And also, 58% of every dollar you pay in taxes in this nation goes to armed forces funding. We are a military society, shoot first mentality. Sickening.

I did four and in my lifetime, i have not seen the US involved in a war that truly merited our involvement. WWII, my father's war, and he would be quick to add he did nothing heroic, even with his medals, would be the last war that unfortunately needed to be fought (the Dali Lama would differ). One thing from my time in, i realized the military likes to give medals (4 years and 7 medals - one was a humanitarian medal as we did something good - rescuing refugees- that aint happening today, and we had no orders to do so).

Yes, I too inherited many merit badges in my time in the service. In 6 years I was given 15 medals for one reason or another, including a bronze star with an "M" device for "meritorious service". No different than merit badges earned by boy scouts, except for involvement in massacres. What has happened in the middle east is no less than genocidal. 800,000 men and women of a certain race or religion murdered by men and women of a different race or religion. I still struggle to deal with my involvement in it.

Glorification of the US Military goes back to the post-Vietnam War period. The Pentagon decided to undertake a massive makeover of the military's PR image. One of the methods they used was to make available to filmmakers, cash grants, if they were making a film that glorified, or inspired sympathy for the military.A similar project was undertaken by the old Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, to improve the public's perception of the police. In that case, funds were made available to offset the production costs of 'cop shows' on TV. So, the US population has undergone nearly 50 years of pro- police/military psychological conditioning in that regards.

I have heard about some of those programs. It was much the same at the onset of the middle eastern invasion starting in 2001. Using key words, Repititiously on TV to try and create an enemy. And it worked. The American people got behind every word, because we as a society of consumers are extremely gullible. Also, an economic collapse ensured further ease of recruitment to build the armed forces, as it was the only job many could find.... much like in North Korea.

First, thank you for your service. That being said, I see nothing heroic or brave about killing & destruction. It just makes no sense to me. Most regular people just want to live in peace, including people in Russia & China.

Della Level 6 Jan 17, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:267753
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.