Agnostic.com

4 0

LINK 30 Years After the Rushdie Fatwa, Europe Is Moving Backward – Foreign Policy

FTA: despite the unanimous rhetorical support for free speech after Charlie Hebdo, blasphemy bans have become more firmly anchored in some parts of the continent in recent years. In a recent case, the European Court of Human Rights even reaffirmed that European human rights law recognizes a right not to have one’s religious feelings hurt. The court based its decision on the deeply flawed assumption that religious peace and tolerance may require the policing rather than the protection of “gratuitously offensive” speech. Accordingly, it found that Austria had not violated freedom of expression by convicting a woman for having called the Prophet Mohammed a “pedophile.”

zblaze 7 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see this as a sign of uncontrolled cultural diversity. When people from predominately religious cultures come to Europe they expect to have the same emphasis and protections on religion that they had in their own countries. Problem is, when you put multiple religious cultures together and expect tolerance for each others beliefs you are setting a short fuse to even more violence.
When I lived in Germany I had close friends that were Turkish Orthodox Christians. One daughter opened a Turkish store. Some time later some Muslim Turks set fire to the store. This is common and is one major problem with uncontrolled immigration.

Islam is the absolute worst......that is to say, currently.

Thank you for sharing the link to the above news article.

It might be expedience at best but I suspect a more sinister motive. Perhaps the global economic leaders would prefer a cheaper workforce. That said, I think you get what you pay for but the ordinary person will pay the price. I hate to see our European culture and wonderful ideals thrown under the bus for the profit of a few.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:267919
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.