Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK West Wing - Bartlet & the Bible - YouTube

One of my favorite scenes from "The West Wing"

snytiger6 9 Jan 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I used to listen to Dr. Laura on the radio years ago (I could only assume she was whom this character was based on--at least it seemed obvious at the time this episode aired). Mostly overly simplistic solutions to problems that seemed simple. I'm sure many were, but some were likely very complex, and her advice never seemed like it came from a professional point of view. Most of the time her views seemed to emanate from her own person and psychological problems.

Yeah, Dr. Laura has a Phd in physiology. Later after peopel noticed she wasn't qualified to be giving advice, she went back to school and go a credential for couseling, but I dotn' think it was actually form a very reputable school.

It was interesting that whne she first started she was actually pro-gay rights and described homosexuality as normal. Then, she got heavily into traditional Jewish teachings, and went the other way, which is about when people also noticed she lacked actual credentials to be giving advice and counseling. It was interesting how as she got more heavily into religion that her advice and counseling got progressively worse.

@snytiger6 Maybe she got caught up in the rise of conservative AM radio. By the time I quit listening, I remember thinking that her show more and more just seemed to be a means for her audience to look down on other people. The advice she gave was often facile, and more and more she seemed to be putting herself on a high horse (once you call her show--or go on Dr. Phil--you must be both desperate and unaware of any other means of help). I also never understood why she liked Star Trek so much (I think it was right as TNG was ending or had just ended). All the values she always pointed to in Trek seemed anathema to the values she actually had. I don't remember any episode where Picard called someone the n-word over and over because you hear it in rap music and on HBO comedy specials. Telling a black woman that her white husband's white friends calling her the n-word was her fault for being too sensitive...was bizarre advice on any planet, but I think again revealed Dr. Laura's own psychological problems.

Aaron Sorkin is an artist who writes for television. What a strange sentence.

That should be required viewing for everyone who attempts to use the bible to justify their irrational hate and ignorance.
Fucking daily, just so they don't forget.

Great writing on that show..and cast.

I have always loved that scene.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:268767
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.