Agnostic.com

7 1

I sometimes Pray. I don't know who I am praying to, but sometimes it makes me feel better I don't pray everyday, and sometimes go months or weeks without praying, I have to be really moved..Sometimes I am moved so much by a person's plight that I pray for them even though I am not sure there is a god. I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic Schools. I pretty much abandoned the catholic religion and The Bible in my twenties, but I have never totally abandoned prayer. I am Spiritual but not religious, at least in the affiliation or group worship sense. I respect all religions and a person's right to believe in what works for them. A good example is the Native American Indians. What right did the European Settlers have to take away their land, way of life, and their religion and force Christianity on them? Getting back to Prayer, I am Agnostic in the sense I support Science and generally rely on scientific evidence in my beliefs, however I also believe as mortal humans we simply do not know what happens after death and feel it is arrogant for anyone to think they do know. I do believe in Aliens and Spirits/Ghosts, which sounds like a contradiction but I actually have had experiences on both counts but have never seen, or heard physical evidence of god. I believe in energies that are cosmic and the power of the universe, Most of all I live and believe in the law of Karma and the Golden Rule, "Do unto Others as you want Others to do unto you. Is there anyone else who considers themselves Agnostic but still pray? Maybe it's not so much prayer as extending positive and emotional thoughts into the cosmic universe and hoping unknown forces and energies can play a part in helping people, or myself when I am going through a trying time.

Jamaxe 3 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheism is often used to promote faith in materialism but it generally uses science to observe reality through an unfiltered lens, which leads to greater morality.
[boston.com]

Evidence proves and exposes so many of the pains we cause so, while they can still be rationalized, they aren't so easily denied - except by that 37% of the population who dismiss facts that don't promote fear based, selfish, and delusional agenda.

MikeO Level 3 Jan 21, 2018

I am an atheist and I pray all the time. Most I pray by meditating on the love I have for friends who are fighting illness or loss. I pray for strength and peace for them and their loved ones. I have never prayed for anything else

Well, being raised non religious yet being told to pray to fit in, my prayers tend to look more like Rick''s from Rick and Morty.

Cmy3 Level 2 Nov 3, 2017

I am told tht prayer can be a kind of meditation for some people and help them focus their mind. Some people find prayer to be a useful tool. For me, it was just a waste of time and effort. But, if you get something from it, then, at least for you, it may be productive.

i substitute the word "hope"

We all have that inner voice that questions or "prays." We all do it in different ways. I don't remember what class I took, but it was explained as part of our evolutionary processes. I don't even remember the reason. I'll have to look it up, but everyone "talks" in his or her head. You don't have to be religious or believe in god to pray. It's part of the human condition, because, well, most of us feel empathy and grief and sorrow, and want we want to feel like we matter in the world and that someone is listening. We are, after all, all connected.

Far be it for me to say anything to make you feel uncomfortable, but your journey to fully understanding what is reality is an ongoing thing. So lots of luck with your journey.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2688
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.