Agnostic.com

5 2

Thanos and God

I'm not a Christian and don't know much about Christianity. But one question has always bothered me. If God is all-powerful, why can't He just snap his fingers and make Satan disappear, thereby negating the need for Armageddon? This would prevent the Anti-Christ from being born. If God still needed or wanted to send evil people to burn in Hell for eternity for actions that He knew millennia in advance they would take because He's all-knowing, He could still do so. He'd just appoint some other angel as guardian of the underworld. Some angel He knows will always obey Him.

Brian_Blum 4 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The answer according to catholic teaching is god wanted man to have free will in choosing between good and evil. So he created both good and evil.Sounds about right wouldn't u say.

I could give you the answer, as approved by most churches, but if I did I would sound like a raving lunatic with the attention span of a gnat and the brains of a turnip, you see I'm not a theologian and only they are allowed to spout this tripe and not get picked up by the men in white coats driving the Loony detector van.

Don't expect logic from religion, it does not do that. It is however fun to research the history of Satan, because the whole story is so wonderfully silly, there are a couple of good videos on U-tube you can find easily. In the Christian old testament he/it/they (may be several) starts as an servant of god doing as he is told, which some sects still think he does. The original meaning of Satan in old Hebrew roughly translates as "adversary" with the slight meaning of legal council as in prosecuter. God sends "an" Satan (obedient servant) to bring the plagues to Egypt, then it becomes gods drinking pal in Job and only finally becomes the antichrist in the new testament. There is nothing in the Bible to connect Satan with the snake in the garden of Eden, that is a quite post Biblical idea. And of course the first thing that god creates is light. "Let there be light." which may be why there is the alternate name of Lucifer, and that may go back to ancient Persian Zoroastrian myths.

I thought "In the beginning of God's creating the Heavens and the Earth, the Earth was without form and water was upon the face of the deep". Now you're telling me that Light was the first thing? Then you're telling me the Word was the beginning? Gee, this is all so confusing.

(I'm Jewish so part of that is legitimate confusion and the other is making fun)

I know the satan comes from Hebrew (I'm Jewish after all) and I think the Book of Job is perhaps one of the most disgusting parts of the Bible. But yeah. Lucifer and the Latin is weird, man.

@Brian_Blum THe Christian Bible does contain two accounts of the creation which do not tell the same version of the story! Which helps a lot.

I asked that same question at bible study almost 40 years ago. Ended up been kicked out for asking too many questions and challenging the scriptures!

If the Abrahanic god would exist and be like, as your post, and many other supposed actions suggest, he would be one twisted bastard.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:269868
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.