Agnostic.com

9 5

I notice people talking about the pain and troubles of escaping religions to find a life without. I applaud your journey and struggles. Then there are people that were never indoctrinated, never forced or tricked into religious views, never subjugated to its rule in their personal life. Do you see differences in us (the participants on this site) today, relative to these two groups? Do the escapees have better stories, more problems, etc..? Do the nonindoctrinated have fuller lives, more money, or are they funnier? Or is there no obvious correlation? Who’s into statistical analysis?

NothinnXpreVails 8 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems that some people can just opt out without consequence and others fear losing so much. It is like being gay. Some know that their friends and families are still going to love them and others know that they will be denounced and risk being alienated. I'm lucky that religion was never a big deal in my family so walking away from it was no biggie. I can't imagine what it must be like dealing with a devout and oppressive family. Must be very emotionally tumultuous.

no obvious correlation. i've never been a believer, but i don't think that i'm less resentful than an ex-believer about the damage world religion has done & is still doing to humanity. neither do i perceive more exhilaration in escapees about a life lived free of the mental shackles of religion than in myself.

It seems to me that those who have thrown off the chains of religious oppression are more resentful of it because of the sway it had over them for years. No blanket statement is entirely true, but I seem to sense this pattern. Someone never in the grips doesn't know what it takes to free oneself.

You’re right, I have no idea of the grasp it has on a person.

I have never been so free and happy until I was able to drop the religious burden. The values that religion supposed ly taught were so violated daily by religious members that it was just a farce.There has been no pain no trouble just relief.

It is strongly discouraged to get a higher education in my previous religion. As a result, many members do not have the best finantial situations, and many rely on each other for employment. They are taught god will provide for them if they sacrifice their time to serve him rather than spend it persuing a "comfortable lifestyle". They make it a matter of choosing wether you are serving god or satan. Here is a picture they printed in one if their magazines. The caption did not show up under the picture, it reads "Which master will you slave for?"

I joined this site because I am looking to find people who have a perspective of life without religion, I find it so refreshing. There are already so many stresses in this world, it is a major relief to remove the unnessesary stress of religion, at least it was for me.

I don't have the religious struggles, because religion was never rammed down my throat. It was just kind of "in the air", and taken for granted.

My major struggles have been social, and I am inexpressibly grateful for them because they have given me valuable perspective--which I wouldn't trade for anything.

Interesting, I’ve wondered about the same.. Not having had religion inflicted on me in youth left me extremely puzzled when grade school friends began describing ‘it.’ Though religion played no limiting role in my childhood - it’s limits definitely set in as a young adult. Discrimination by religious co-workers, ‘in god we trust’ plastered on my money, a prayer of aledgence, increasing restrictions on abortion, being ‘frowned upon’ for “living in sin” with my eventual wife… The ugly effect of religion eventually gets to us all..

What have I noticed after years of belonging to Atheist organizations…? Those not having been raised religious are generally in better spirits; freer thinking, more trusting, quicker to laugh, seamlessly push the envelope, more in tune with nature. Yes they/ we can become justifiably angry - and do - when religious restrictions are foisted upon us.. We’re often very politically active - because that’s how such overreaching religious oppression gets to us, our children, and our community...

Observations of those having suffered religious oppression in youth: Labeled “Rebellious” by family or church, these youth take on the role - often with self destructive behavior.. Overly analytical, as if every argument must be supported by a ‘passage & verse’ in some text. Angry; assuming they’d learned to ‘shut up’ and keep their thoughts within ...they’ll eventually burst; they’ve a difficult time ‘easing into’ a discussion. Religion specific; they’ve a short lifetime worth of inconsistencies regarding the religion they were afflicted with and can expertly point them out - but have difficulty viewing all religions as basically the same. Scarred; each in a different way.. but with obvious scars remaining deep and painful.. They’ve a lack of family cohesion; where as my 3 siblings & self, along with both parents remain on the same wavelength regarding the BS that’s religion, those having escaped it have very contrasting views with the same.. Lacking that family cohesion, they seem far more on guard, and hesitant to openly state their views around others, as if they ‘might lose another one’...

But, I consider them my siblings 🙂 Impressed at what they’ve overcome, they are my personal he & sheros. We need more ~

Varn Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

You're a careful observer and as a former fundamentalist, I have no major malfunction with your analysis. But I'd like to point out a few things.

Different fundamentalist churches have varying levels of authoritarianism, ranging from sawdust-trail, fire-and-brimstone types to the sort of moderate quasi-intellectualized fundamentalism I grew up in. Also, unconditionally loving parents can unwittingly compensate for the worst aspects of fundamentalist ideology. I was fortunate to have had both of those factors in play.

My three brothers and I run the gamut -- I'm the overt atheist (and the youngest); the next oldest is non-practicing but can't embrace the label; the next oldest is still in the faith but by virtue of attending an inner-city church and presiding over Section 8 housing he's pretty "street" and adept at dealing with all kinds of people, so isn't the pearl-clutching fundie who can't handle the real world; he has no personal malfunction with my apostasy. The oldest (now deceased) was an elder in his church and the only one of us to totally conform to the expected story arc of fundamentalist life, but he was an inherently happy guy without a judgmental bone in his body.

My parents were good about minding their own business and went to their graves pretty much unaware of these differences, choosing to see us as their children and loving us as such.

This is probably unusual, and don't get me wrong, my religion of origin definitely harmed me, just not in the stereotypical / usual ways. My problem with it is that it simply didn't accurately explain or predict experienced reality, it set my expectations wildly high, and set me up for failure in various ways. It made me naive and unworldly and ruined my bullshit filters until I repaired them. It did not prepare me for the Real World, which pretty much ate me alive until I got away from the belief system.

I guess what I'm really saying is that you're naturally going to notice the more screwed up / anxious products of fundamentalism but just be aware that this is selection bias (and after awhile, probably confirmation bias). There are a lot of different paths through and out of fundamentalism.

@mordant This is what all religious parents need to read: “My problem with it is that it simply didn't accurately explain or predict experienced reality, it set my expectations wildly high, and set me up for failure in various ways. It made me naive and unworldly and ruined my bullshit filters until I repaired them. It did not prepare me for the Real World, which pretty much ate me alive until I got away from the belief system.

An ‘at home dad,’ I had the privilege of explaining to my daughters why I wouldn’t force religious beliefs on them, and it’s pretty much what you described above. Life is hard enough! I, along with my atheist wife of the time also agreed not to do the Santa Claus myth.. My feelings were, if you lie to a child, about anything, how & why should they ever believe you again..?

Having had friends forced into religion, I witnessed the confusion you described. My upbringing was quite conservative, too much disiplin but solid morals ... so I’d end up hanging around with ‘the religious kids’ who were experience something similar. Their doubt was palpable.. and understandable, because reality consistently went against their religious teachings. I had a ringside seat 😟

Thanks for sharing your experience, I’m glad you’re here 🙂

Being previously religious definitely leaves lots of scars and chances of relapsing. All I can say that I envy anyone who has spent the majority of their life without the hassle of religion.

Wow. Those are some serious questions. Personally, I think there aren't single answers to any of them. I suppose if a statistical analysis were done, there might be some generalizations that could be drawn from the results. However, I think there are just so many different responses to be had, it's not possible to determine anything concrete.
I was indoctrinated into catholicism, but I suffered absolutely no angst whatsoever when I turned my back on it. I didn't miss anything about it.
When I realized my atheism, I felt no angst over that either. I don't believe there are any correlations, obvious or otherwise, to be drawn about the lives of those who have left religion, or eschewed it out of hand. Like I said, that's just me. I'm not much of a believer in inter-connectedness regarding such things.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27142
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.