Agnostic.com

6 12

Quote from Douglas Adams

“Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”

RhettRogers 3 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No fairys just butterflies

Beautiful...

@thinktwice thanks forgot the turtle ?

@oldFloyd MITCH! lol

@thinktwice it's getting a suntan,? I doubt it

@oldFloyd We have creek in our yard and our neighbor has a pond...I have to watch driving to work not to run over any turtles...I have learned to grab them from behind to put them back into the meadow...still scares me to death!

I have been reading books about the Monty Python comedy group, and evidently Douglas Adams was on the fringe of that group and even made some (sparse) uncredited contributions to the writing.

I like to imagine fairies in mine, but I don't believe in them...to me, they are just harmless additions to my vivid imagination and don't hurt anyone...it doesn't supersede my enjoyment of my gardens just as they are...beauty of what is actually in front of my eyes and beauty of what is in my mind...frivolity and joy are not incongruous to reality...I prefer not putting limitations on any of it...it is not pie...

And gnomes. I have gnomes in mine.

Exactly what I think, in fact I would go so far as to say that if you go looking for fairies, then you risk bypassing a lot of the really good and beautiful things there are in this universe, which you would find if you gave your attention to them.

Douglas Adams was a brilliant author. I should reread his novels soon.

JimG Level 8 Jan 22, 2019

Some of them are among the few books which made me laugh out loud while reading.

@Fernapple the segment set in the airlock of the Vogon ship in Hitchhikers' Guide To the Galaxy comes to mind. There are more but....

@JimG That's good, there are three bits that get me especially, but I will not be a spoiller, except to say that one is the bit about "behind a door marked Beware of the Leopard." which of course everyone knows.

@Fernapple that whole series is absolutely hilarious. The "Display Department" had actually slipped my mind.

The discussion between Ford and Arthur about the destruction of the planet and the couch in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency are great examples of Adam's incredibly strange and utterly brilliant sense of humor.

@JimG The other one which gets me is the one where I think it is the “Cricketers” and one of them says, “I think there seems to be something wrong with the robots, they are getting depressed and their hearts do not seem to be in it anymore.” The clever thing being that you the reader knows without being told exactly who is responsible. Plus the one about. “It is the most dangerous thing in the universe” “So why did you send it to me?” “Because I knew you were the only person who would not open the box.” For some reason like being poe faced. Actually when I think back there were hundreds.

Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul is my favorite.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:271450
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.