Agnostic.com

4 5

QUESTION These skeptics are using science to fight a wave of bad nutrition advice on the Internet

“A lot of the people promoting pseudoscience are pretty good at the “Gish Gallop,’?” says Gorski. That’s when a dishonest charlatan lists many misleading items to leave their opponent flustered by heaps of pseudoscience. It looks like the dishonest speaker wins the debate because the scientist can’t possibly reply to all of the junk. The charlatan provides no references, and ignores the scientist who requests them. If you see this kind of battle, it’s a red flag that bunk is afoot. Some other warning signs that you’re getting junk science are when:

•One treatment protocol is said to heal a long list of conditions. There’s no “one thing” that can cure many ailments.

•The information is based on testimonials and anecdotes, not on research.

•Science is alluded to, but no actual references to reputable journal studies are provided.

•The words “magic” or “miracle” are used. If something really worked that well, you’d have heard about it and it wouldn’t be sold online for $29.95.

zblaze 7 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First thing I did was to do as the report suggested and look into things. [urbandictionary.com] it’s really funny to me because I know that “Gish” in Farsi means to pee.

Snake oil salesmen have been around for centuries. Now they have technology to add to their weapons. Well we also have technology and the first question I ask is “who gains” and I do research and see who gains and how that might affect me. I am skeptical by nature and getting worse by the minute. I also believe in being pro-active especially when it comes to my health. My number one question is what can I do lifestyle wise to deal with a problem. The last thing I want are some products or services. When that is unavoidable (I have a rainwater harvesting system which means fluoride free water. I did research for the most natural fluoride toothpaste and bought it at a local co-op) I read labels, look up the product and ask people I trust – my dentist who is the most honest and professional dentist I have ever known helped me with this item.

Thank you that's brilliant.

JimG Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

Fwiw plant based omega 3 will cure a host of ills, mostly I guess because our O3😮6 ratio is so skewed now. 6 months of omega 3 therapy and many symptoms disappear. Your body requires o3 to make new cells, and if you got none, you get crappy cells

I wish folks would stop posting links to The Washington Post. All we get is a page to sign in because the Post requires a rather expensive subscription, and therefore renders the link meaningless to those of us that don't have/can't afford a subscription.

I have never and will never pay a subscription to the WP. The entire article comes up for me and they might ask for me to get a subscription but I always decline.

I'm sorry Rob and Victoria?, but as long as I get the post for free, I will be posting their articles. Have you guys cleaned your caches lately?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27198
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.