Agnostic.com

4 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

...I donโ€™t know about that.. Been getting very comfortable alone. First time not sharing a bedroom with a brother, living with gf/ wife, raising kids & pets, or with crazy.. I do like people, though ..and am afraid this wonโ€™t last ๐Ÿ™‚

Varn Level 8 Jan 24, 2019

I agree. As an introvert I need a certain amount of time for myself to think and ponder the events in my life and process things as they happen. Without that I begin feeling lost and risk making bad decisions. I think having a strong relationship with yourself is the foundation on which you can then build strong relationships with others.

I don't think we learn to be alone first but who knows what we think of in the womb. Once born, it's all about social interaction. Later we might become introspective. One philosopher said the unconsidered life wasn't worth living but so many people live it and are content enough. One of the Bible prophets spoke of knowledge increasing sorrow - For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief" (Ecclesiastes 1:18). Loneliness is now classified by some as a disease. The article probably means voluntary isolation rather than loneliness - a time to recharge batteries and mull over things that need time for reflection. It is probably for the best if we spend less time reflecting than we spend interacting but I'm sure any self-respecting Buddhist would disagree with me.

Like most things, I think it's a matter of balance.

Personally, I prefer my own company, & see little need to be around others just for the sake of being around others.

I'm not made that way. I need a certain amount of down time away from others, but I'm an extrovert by nature.

@tnorman1236 I'm uncomfortable around most people, & extremely so if its more than just a few at once. That's why online suits me nicely.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:272370
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.